Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Proud owner of 2005 Rally Yellow SS/SC Cobalt
By jason2012 on 08/25/12 08:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I dont know what the hell you people are talking about, i guess u dont know how to take care of a car. MY COBALT was bought in july 2005, only issue i ever had with it was my 2 gear, gearbox, BECAUSE i was petal to the metal, of course it was under warranty at the time and was fix beautiful. another thing, nothing big was the molding around the sunroof button, came off when racing a crxgsr turbo LOL, was fix and never came off. Thats About it RIGHT NOW i got 140k miles on it and it runs PerfecT! I sugguest u people learn how to warm up ur car and maintain it well. sounds to me u are a bunch of retards. BTW this is GM expect Speed not Need lmao. GREAT car its Paid Off And WIll be kept!!

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32 on 08/04/12 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

Gas King
By winglimit on 06/27/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again. Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat. My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >) As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious. Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

I have a orange 2005 chevy and i love it
By tricia23sc on 01/24/12 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am 23 years old and bought my car when i was 21. I have never had a issue with it except for the basics to keep it in good shape. I live in south carolina and the back roads aren't rough on my car but i do live in florida as well and the heat doesnt ruin the paint job. It gets great highway mileage as well as city, it costs me 40 bucks to fill up with gas prices $3.09 i am a college student so traveling is a must. If i was to recommend a car it would be this one! especially to any young driver or someone who wants a reliable car. My car has over 100,000 miles and still runs great since day one

New wheels
By kiki24 on 10/20/11 09:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

Worst car Ive ever owned hands down!
By dawgscj7 on 05/28/11 13:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

First off let me say that I have owned alot of cars like these, low end to mid range performance cars. Second off almost all these cars were forced induction cars. I bought this car with 60k miles on it, it currently has 91k on it. I have had it two years and Ive had to replace the transmission, clutch 2x, alternator, battery, plugs 3x, front ball joints. The car is always down during the time ive owned it, it has not run more than 90 days at any given time. The engine and trans are all saab and terribly designed and horrible to work on. the entire car was hastily manufactured with mediocre materials. the fit and finish of the entire are is horrible. 93 oct gas and full syn oil, why?terrible

Chevy failed again
By ncx35 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Not the worst car I've ever owned. Decent on gas, cheap plastic interior, cheap everything, minimal features, has been in the shop for major repairs 4 or 5 times in the 4 years I've had it, I just got it fixed the other day and the stupid check engine light is back. Rides rough, shakes and rattles when coming to a stop, rough idle, slower than a bicycle, less than great gas mileage for a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine. This will be my last American car, ever.

The Best Of All My Rides
By shepardj22000 on 09/04/10 18:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2005 Cobalt. It rides like a sports car, looks like a sports car, feels like a sports car, but doesn't cost as much as a high performance sports car. Mine is the Rally Yellow with cloth interior, but has the interior color as the outside body. I love my Cobalt so much, I even gave it a name, Bad Betty! With the price, handling, reliability, and style, the Cobalt is an excellent choice for and everyday vehicle. I can't wait to wake up in the morning, and drive mine everyday!

Amazing car!
By amazing car! on 06/13/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in April of this year. I'm a 16 year old girl and this is my first car. I have a 2 door lt orange car automatic w. Leather seats. I absolutely love this car! I couldn't have picked a better one! I love driving it and its very reliable. I haven't had anything go wrong with it which is good. But it is a great car for new drivers! I would definitely recommend this car!

Too many problems
By Dayna on 06/09/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Granted, I bought my car used from a used dealership I'm reading all the above problems from all other consumers and find I'm having the same problems! Struts! Radio locking up! The metal lining on interior doors chipped and very sharp! Power steering! Shakes when I go to a stop like its going to stall out on me and now the car won't even start! The engine light just comes on!