Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

ignition recall
By wuzzle

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run

Clunking and rattling everywhere...beware
By edgexpro

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Cobalt with only 67,000 miles on it. Since 40,000 miles there has been a horrible clunking in the front and rear suspension as well as a rattle from the steering column. I have taken it to a GM dealer and told to replace the struts, which I did with an independent shop, as well as sway bar links and bushings. This did not help anything and since then it has gotten significantly worse. Today, I replaced the lower control arms and that didn't help either. The moral of the story is this shouldn't happen on a car with lower miles.

Oil life monitor. Auto headlights

Build quality - suspension and interior.

It's been a great car!
By silveeto

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

Leather, heated seats, power windows, a/c

GM should have provided a mass recall on their intermediate steering shafts and used non-plastic parts to prevent the sloppy steering issue.

It's the best car I've owned so far
By riker93

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Cobalt 2 door in March 2011. It had 54,000 miles on it, and it ran like a brand new car. It has all the options, except a sunroof. My son drove it for his summer job, and the engine did fail, but it was fixed through the extended service contract I purchased. Only paid the $100 deductable, and a new engine was installed. Now it runs even better than before! It still looks like a new car, not one spot of rust at 8 years old. I'm now driving the car, and I have a 2010 model, cause I really like this style of car. They both run beautiful, and I have all the maintainence done as the manufacturer recommends.

I like the sporty look of the 2 door coup, I have the rear spoiler, and it makes the car look so cool.

The interior did have some paint chipping on the plastic parts, but my son took care of that, by painting them, and now it looks awesome!

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.