Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2005 Chevy Cobalt major problems
By shadow076

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

On 6/22/14, I was coming home from Philadelphia and while on the Brunswick Highway, my 2005 Chevy Cobalt's dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, traction control, brakes, abs, engine lock, door locks were clicking on and off and I had to pull over 4 times off the highway. My odometer didn't work either. This also made my transmission jerk and slip. It was so bad that when it was switching gears, it was making my entire car shake. I was afraid for my life. I nearly crashed into a semi-truck because my brakes and power steering didn't work. Also, I couldn't go below 65mph on the highway because the transmission was slipping. I made it home but I was still shocked

ignition recall
By wuzzle

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run

Clunking and rattling everywhere...beware
By edgexpro

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Cobalt with only 67,000 miles on it. Since 40,000 miles there has been a horrible clunking in the front and rear suspension as well as a rattle from the steering column. I have taken it to a GM dealer and told to replace the struts, which I did with an independent shop, as well as sway bar links and bushings. This did not help anything and since then it has gotten significantly worse. Today, I replaced the lower control arms and that didn't help either. The moral of the story is this shouldn't happen on a car with lower miles.

Oil life monitor. Auto headlights

Build quality - suspension and interior.

It's been a great car!
By silveeto

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

Leather, heated seats, power windows, a/c

GM should have provided a mass recall on their intermediate steering shafts and used non-plastic parts to prevent the sloppy steering issue.

It's the best car I've owned so far
By riker93

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Cobalt 2 door in March 2011. It had 54,000 miles on it, and it ran like a brand new car. It has all the options, except a sunroof. My son drove it for his summer job, and the engine did fail, but it was fixed through the extended service contract I purchased. Only paid the $100 deductable, and a new engine was installed. Now it runs even better than before! It still looks like a new car, not one spot of rust at 8 years old. I'm now driving the car, and I have a 2010 model, cause I really like this style of car. They both run beautiful, and I have all the maintainence done as the manufacturer recommends.

I like the sporty look of the 2 door coup, I have the rear spoiler, and it makes the car look so cool.

The interior did have some paint chipping on the plastic parts, but my son took care of that, by painting them, and now it looks awesome!