Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Lack of power steering
By be careful

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

One evening driving home the power steering suddenly went out. It nearly caused an accident. We drove straight home and parked the car until Monday and had it towed to our dealer. Evidently once the car is shut off, the thing resets itself and starts working again, so there weren't any codes to work with. It was supposedly fixed by the dealer. Four days later, in a very sharp turn the power steering went out again. We ran off the road this time and barely got it under control. This time I drove to a gas station, filled up and the car ran all night until the dealership was open the next day. This time they got the proper codes and are fixing it right. I hope. I am trading it off asap.

No electronic power steering

Good car......some flaws!
By jamie widrig

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a ZR2 Blazer to a Cobalt. I miss the 4WD, but love the fuel economy. I drive approx. 3000mi. per month and have saved a lot in gas $$. But at 18000mi the trans. control module fried, I had to have a whole new sunroof put in within 2 weeks of purchase, the rearview mirror fell off, the e-brake light randomly comes on & i never use the e-brake, the cd player has a mond of its own. When braking hard on the highway, it makes a loud rubbing noise that nobody can figure out. But for the gas $$ I save these are just little things that are under warranty. Can't wait to see what goes wrong once the warranty runs out.

OnStar, XM, 7 speaker stereo system, rear window locks, controls on steering wheel.

Needs more lighting, the 2 little map lights on the mirror just don't cut it for lighting needs in the back seat.

Compact Luxury
By CobaltDad

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter drives this car to school - around 40 miles roundtrip. So far she is averaging 30-31 MPG with the trip to school on rural roads and just everyday driving in town-no freeway driving. We are pleasantly surprised considering all the bad press the Colbalt gets in many reviews for its "poor" gas mileage. We have 6942 problem free miles driven and have had only 1 (ridiculously expensive) oil change at the dealership. We are very pleased so far.

Really impressed with the luxury features such as leather seating, steering wheel radio controls, XM, OnStar, etc. Also excellent acceleration and mileage.

Cute
By Denise

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My driving experience with the Chevy Cobalt is that it does drive smooth and it has some speed. The brakes are good. All it takes is a tap on the brakes. The heating system is good. I burn less heat and oil. The windows fog up easily.

My favorite feature is the style of the car and the color. I like the way the body of the car looks The appearance is nice.

It should be more than one CD player.

Better than a Cavalier
By Chevy Always

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good, this car is alot of fun. I have had only one problem so far as a high pressure switch went out on my air conditioning. It was gratefully worked on and fixed. There were a couple of recalls that I had to take of, but hey, for the price, no problem. I would recommend this car to anyone. I'm only mad that I didn't get the higher performance engine.

I like the low profile tires.

The cup holders are in a poor place. It is a little snug for five passengers.