Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

My Cobalt
By shawn smith

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Chevy Cobalt in Oct. 2005. It is a wonderful car. It has great gas mileage. I would recommend it to anyone.

My favorite feature would be the way the whole dash is designed.

It is too small. You have no back seat room for passengers. The back bumper is made of nothing. I can push it in with my finger.

Looks aren't everything
By Robert

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved the look of the Cobalt and the practicallity of it. I bought it for my wife. At first she loved it. Good gas mileage, ran great. However all good things must come to an end. Shortly after purchase it started to fall apart. At first it was minor things and now pretty major. At least that's what I assumed when the dealers mechanics wanted to give me a rental but couldn't without GM's permission. This problem is still not solved and if and when I ever buy brand new again, it certainly will not be for looks or fuel economy. It will be by company and manufactures ratings, even if that means paying more for a good reliable car.

I like the look. The leather heated seats are a plus. The mp3 player and satellite radio are a bonus. The trunk is of good size.

I think that before rushing to get a new vehicle on the market, they need to make sure that the builders and manufacturers are all up to par. Make sure engines are up to standards, and if alot people have the same problems then fix them in a timely manner and let other owners know what is going wro

Not too shabby
By Franko

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased the Cobalt last August, within 2 weeks abs and t/c light came on. Took it in dealership 4 times to get it fixed. So far no light has been on. I got the satin interior and the "paint" is starting to chip and come off. This is not suppose to happen being a 9 month old car. Interior is somewhat cheap looking, but performance and gas mileage is great as long as you don't have a lead foot. Hardly any room for backseat passengers.

The ride is nice. Stereo is very good but they slipped in low grade Pioneer speakers. Plenty of pep. Dash lighting. Don't have to spend much on gas.

Make the satin parts made of metal not sprayed on paint on plastic. I was in a Scion XB and it had metal for trim pieces. Wish they designed it so I could do my own rotation of tires with only one jack. Need better selection of aftermarket items.

Lack of power steering
By be careful

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

One evening driving home the power steering suddenly went out. It nearly caused an accident. We drove straight home and parked the car until Monday and had it towed to our dealer. Evidently once the car is shut off, the thing resets itself and starts working again, so there weren't any codes to work with. It was supposedly fixed by the dealer. Four days later, in a very sharp turn the power steering went out again. We ran off the road this time and barely got it under control. This time I drove to a gas station, filled up and the car ran all night until the dealership was open the next day. This time they got the proper codes and are fixing it right. I hope. I am trading it off asap.

No electronic power steering

Good car......some flaws!
By jamie widrig

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a ZR2 Blazer to a Cobalt. I miss the 4WD, but love the fuel economy. I drive approx. 3000mi. per month and have saved a lot in gas $$. But at 18000mi the trans. control module fried, I had to have a whole new sunroof put in within 2 weeks of purchase, the rearview mirror fell off, the e-brake light randomly comes on & i never use the e-brake, the cd player has a mond of its own. When braking hard on the highway, it makes a loud rubbing noise that nobody can figure out. But for the gas $$ I save these are just little things that are under warranty. Can't wait to see what goes wrong once the warranty runs out.

OnStar, XM, 7 speaker stereo system, rear window locks, controls on steering wheel.

Needs more lighting, the 2 little map lights on the mirror just don't cut it for lighting needs in the back seat.