2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual - (31 reviews )
Proud owner of 2005 Rally Yellow SS/SC Cobalt
By jason2012 on 08/25/12 08:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I dont know what the hell you people are talking about, i guess u dont know how to take care of a car. MY COBALT was bought in july 2005, only issue i ever had with it was my 2 gear, gearbox, BECAUSE i was petal to the metal, of course it was under warranty at the time and was fix beautiful. another thing, nothing big was the molding around the sunroof button, came off when racing a crxgsr turbo LOL, was fix and never came off. Thats About it RIGHT NOW i got 140k miles on it and it runs PerfecT! I sugguest u people learn how to warm up ur car and maintain it well. sounds to me u are a bunch of retards. BTW this is GM expect Speed not Need lmao. GREAT car its Paid Off And WIll be kept!!

Worst car Ive ever owned hands down!
By dawgscj7 on 05/28/11 13:08 PM (PDT)

First off let me say that I have owned alot of cars like these, low end to mid range performance cars. Second off almost all these cars were forced induction cars. I bought this car with 60k miles on it, it currently has 91k on it. I have had it two years and Ive had to replace the transmission, clutch 2x, alternator, battery, plugs 3x, front ball joints. The car is always down during the time ive owned it, it has not run more than 90 days at any given time. The engine and trans are all saab and terribly designed and horrible to work on. the entire car was hastily manufactured with mediocre materials. the fit and finish of the entire are is horrible. 93 oct gas and full syn oil, why?terrible

Love the car even thou I had many prob's
By CobaltSSgurl on 01/06/10 12:40 PM (PST)

I was like others & waited patiently for the dealership to get one of these cars in. This was the car I wanted to own!! I loved everything about this car until it hit 13k miles, the engine light continued to come on & off until I traded it a couple of weeks ago with 97k miles. It was a sad day because I had finally got all the kinks out of the car, but I was worried about the supercharger going next. No telling how much that was going to set me back. I thought just because this was a 4 cylinder car that it would be cheap to maintain, but I was wrong. Premium gas only & oil changes are anywhere from $75 - $85 a pop, synthetic oil only. The boost gauge also went out around 20k miles.

What else can go wrong?
By reallybadcar on 08/22/09 11:49 AM (PDT)

I have had the most trouble with this car, i bought it with 2k miles. Then everything started going wrong. The windows motors stopped at 3k. The steering column had locked up and needed to be replaced, at 12k. At 24k miles, a horrible knocking sound started up, the dealership, said the 2 front struts were faulty, the manifold had a leak in it and needed to be replaced, and the wheel bearings in the front dif were faulty, and of course the supercharger was faulty and was replaced. Cant forget the boost gauge meter went out and needed to be replaced at 8k miles. And now the big pool of water that comes from the leaking ac unit, this is my new fun thing to get fixed, but now its out of warranty

Cobalt supercharged
By ladybug1701 on 06/26/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

I loved this car when I first got it 5 yrs. Ago. Now I hate it the sunroof is messing up. I have had to replace 2nd gear already and that was at 50,000 miles. Now the transmission is going out and that is at 52,284 miles. Also my abs light is coming on and a mechanic informed me that it was my body control module, and there are 17 bcm's on the car. The speakers have static. The glove box makes a noise. Also something in the door rattles. Plus to top it off it has a Saab transmission so you can no longer get parts without a huge hassle. It took me 3 weeks to get parts and that was before gm did away with Saab. Do not buy this car!

You better have that warranty
By Cody on 02/27/09 16:22 PM (PST)

steering gear went out, windows vision warped, rotors warped, car interior RATTLES, glove box rattles, exhaust heat shield makes vibrating sounds, steering clunks over dips. Look people this is common for cobalts. I'll be honest, don't buy this car. Great power, and handling but things will break. It's not a maybe. This car isn't a lemon either... this is very common issues. Without the warranty your looking at a big issue. This is a cheaply made car. GM is failing and I don't care because this is what they sell. Go buy a Nissan, don't waste your money for god sake don't make the mistake I did.

Better than some say
By connin on 07/06/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged and so far I think it is a good car. I have fun driving it. There is a lot of power up dates that you can buy for them, and it gets better gas mileage than my last car. More power than Cooper

Not without a warranty
By avery on 06/20/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

This car I ordered and waited 6 months for it, it didn't disappoint. The power the feel best bang for your buck. However it is built kind of like a home made rocket ship, amazing performance, questionable quality. Build quality should go negative for this car

Did not live up to GM standards
By CGrammer on 10/02/07 06:55 AM (PDT)

This car is absolutely the funnest car I've driven yet. The major downfall to this vehicle is the amount of times you will be bringing it to the dealer to have it worked on. I have had everything replaced from front struts/control arms all the way to minor trim detail falling off. I've had my manifold sensors replaced because it was causing my car to RPM at 400. That's not even at idle RPM. When you are getting ready to leave for work and your car display reads "ENG PWR LOW," you get kinda ticked off. My car had to be turned off and on seven times before it would idle at 1100 RPM... enough to get it out of my driveway. I would never recommend anyone buying this model car. Maybe the '08 model.

Couldn't Be Happier
By Randy on 08/03/07 19:43 PM (PDT)

I really love this car. I am a 55 year-old sports car nut (on a tight budget) and my Cobalt is amazing for what it cost. Always fun to drive, it makes every freeway on/off ramp a blast. I manage to get a smile on my face every time I drive it, even after owning it for 2 years. The stock power levels are great but adding the GM Stage 2 kit really transforms the car into something special. The car is amazing quiet, especially at freeway speeds. Overall it is a well sorted out, balanced car, thank you GM for making this thing! Final thought; I have not had one single problem with this car. Not one squeak or rattle, nothing broken, never back to the dealer. I couldn't be happier.