Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

05 chevy cobalt base model
By Cody chevy everyday

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off craigslist for 3,000$ from a mechanic and it's been really reliable faster than an 09 Honda civic and the overall quality is great I have a sound system in mine with 10"inch kicker subs and that's all I hear I never hear the outside I bought it with 151,000 miles on it and it now has 166,000 miles on it and I'm a teen so those I would consider hard miles it has exceptional quality and great acceleration for a 4 cylinder I love it and I definitely recommend this car the safety features are good too the guy who sold it originally crashed it once and usually when you crash cars that becomes history for them but the cobalt was still great I hit a lady with it at 20 mph because she slammed her brakes and I didn't get 1 scratch and with my driving I get 23-24 mpg great car chevy did great thank you and I recommend it

Nevermind...
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems. First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

The stereo was good I guess...

Just about everything except the stereo.

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.

Bulletproof
By breannarae

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

The 5 speed manual is peppy and makes this a very fun car to drive. Love the exterior and interior styling. Very comfortable to drive, excellent fuel economy. I thought the back seats would be uncomfortable or very small, and they appear quite small, but don't find them too crammed or uncomfortable. Love the tons of truck space too.

Love this car, I just wish I had an upgraded model so I have more options rather than basic manual windows etc. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the cupholders placed directly below the heater controls on the dash. It is hard to get to the controls if you have a drink in the way.

take care of it/takes care of me
By steve

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 4 door base model cobalt new 09/05. I bought a "cheap" model, so, my expectations were commensurate. 79,520 miles later I am quite pleased with my investment. Only problems to date, ignition coil went out at 23,000 miles, warranty replacement. Also, A/C evap drain was plugged with insulation on the firewall, allowing condensate water to drain inside the vehicle passenger side front. this I found myself, after dealer said no problems detected. Tire pressures checked min. of twice/week. rotate every 5,000 miles along with the oil changes, only have used synthetic 5/30. new air filter every 10k, replace HVAC filter spring/fall, plugs every 25,000 miles. fun to drive and own!

ecotec 2.2l engine, the battery in the trunk makes for ample room under hood for DIY repairs, oil filter design is less messy to change than most other vehicles, cockpit is comfortable.

None, for a $14,000 car, is very well equipped.

• SUV