2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
New wheels
By kiki24 on 10/20/11 09:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

Too many problems
By Dayna on 06/09/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Granted, I bought my car used from a used dealership I'm reading all the above problems from all other consumers and find I'm having the same problems! Struts! Radio locking up! The metal lining on interior doors chipped and very sharp! Power steering! Shakes when I go to a stop like its going to stall out on me and now the car won't even start! The engine light just comes on!

Happy with the car
By 2005 Chevy Cobalt on 04/19/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 27,000 miles on it and now it has 90,000+. The car has been great for us, as we have had absolutely no problems. It is a lot more fun to drive than the other economy cars. Ours is fairly loaded with the bigger tires and alloy wheels, and the spoiler. We still get compliments on the appearance of the car. Our city MPG averages about 24, and we get about 30 in the highway.

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants on 06/26/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John on 03/10/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

It's a gamble
By Gene on 10/22/08 05:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Based on the other reviews it's clear that if you get a sound Cobalt it's a good purchase. The car my wife and I bought was dangerous right off the bat. Aprox. 2 weeks after purchase while going 40-45 mph the car died. A wiring harness had to be replaced. Since then it's been back to the dealership for numerous repairs.

I got a lemon
By Rebelsbaby on 03/24/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt brand new with 12 miles on it. From day one it has been nothing but problems. It is in the shop 22 times in the first 30 days because the air conditioning was leaking in the floor board. I called GM and they refused to do anything about it. After that I had to have 4 gear shifts replaced and the linkage in my transmission replaced. It also had electrical issues but everytime I took iot in the dealer could not pull the code because the computer automatically reset itself when you turn off the car. I will never own another one

I love it!
By nutmega380 on 12/04/07 05:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I have driven it everywhere. It has made a trip from Mobile to Cali and from Cali to Cincinnati. I have put mass miles on this car in the two years I have owned it. I love the comfort, the power (for a 4C) and the stero is awesome! So glad I picked this car! My last new vehicle was an S- 10, and that ended up in the shop 4 times with repairs. So far this will be the first time I have had issues!

Power Steering Problems
By Beware! on 03/16/07 20:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had several problems with it. Some aren't life threatening (like the power windows not working and the brake light flashing), but I've had a MAF Sensor short which caused the car to stop running while I was doing 60-65 MPH and the steering locked up. Fortunately, the car started back up. I've recently dealt with another steering issue. I was driving down an uneven/bumpy road and a "power steering" message came up on the information panel and the speedometer went out. The steering became very mushy and it was difficult to control the car. I've also dealt with the car not starting and the cab filling with gas fumes. There has been severe hesitation and loss of power when the A/C is on.

Dont buy this car
By akztraylor on 02/22/07 18:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for less than 2 years and it has been in the shop 7 times now. I am very disapointed in this car. I thought this would be a better car to own, now I can't wait to get rid of it!