Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Nevermind...
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems. First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

Favorite Features

The stereo was good I guess...

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything except the stereo.

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Favorite Features

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.

Bulletproof
By breannarae

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed manual is peppy and makes this a very fun car to drive. Love the exterior and interior styling. Very comfortable to drive, excellent fuel economy. I thought the back seats would be uncomfortable or very small, and they appear quite small, but don't find them too crammed or uncomfortable. Love the tons of truck space too.

Suggested Improvements

Love this car, I just wish I had an upgraded model so I have more options rather than basic manual windows etc. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the cupholders placed directly below the heater controls on the dash. It is hard to get to the controls if you have a drink in the way.

take care of it/takes care of me
By steve

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 4 door base model cobalt new 09/05. I bought a "cheap" model, so, my expectations were commensurate. 79,520 miles later I am quite pleased with my investment. Only problems to date, ignition coil went out at 23,000 miles, warranty replacement. Also, A/C evap drain was plugged with insulation on the firewall, allowing condensate water to drain inside the vehicle passenger side front. this I found myself, after dealer said no problems detected. Tire pressures checked min. of twice/week. rotate every 5,000 miles along with the oil changes, only have used synthetic 5/30. new air filter every 10k, replace HVAC filter spring/fall, plugs every 25,000 miles. fun to drive and own!

Favorite Features

ecotec 2.2l engine, the battery in the trunk makes for ample room under hood for DIY repairs, oil filter design is less messy to change than most other vehicles, cockpit is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None, for a $14,000 car, is very well equipped.

Too Many Problems
By April

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and soon after had AC/Heat problems. Dealer fixed those. Replaced tires not long after that. Car always pulls to the left. Interior is breaking and chipping. Had to have a shifting solenoid replaced. A/C started leaking into the car after the warranty was up. We were told it was over-charged and would correct itself (not true). Had to replace tires again. Shifter wouldn't go into park so unable to turn car off. Way too many problems for a new car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much everything needs improved upon. I think they should recall the cobalt for the AC problem that many are having and also the power steering that I've read about. Way sell a junky car and not stand behind it.