Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Best car experience ever
By K. Bristol

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

To be fair, I drove my Cobalt 323,624 miles, no extra maintenance, 37 lifetime combined mpg, 40 mpg in final two years, beautiful blue paint in great shape after 10 years in the Colorado sun, interior decent given its use, engine in perfect condition. Transmission finally gave after 2-3 car-lives. I get paid for driving, and this car not only paid for itself, but then 4 more times! There is nothing wrong with these cars. Miles were approximately 50/50 miles city/highway. And no, I'm not slow, I drive assertively, but not aggressively. Two occasions I scored 44 mpg round trip Denver to Gr. Junction.

Terrible vehicle
By cindt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter in 2007 and it was horrible. The interior was cheap plastic and paint chipped off the radio buttons making it look terrible. Initially, it had mechanical failures that the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty. I don't know why: maybe getting over on my teenage daughter. It had recalls that I tried to have fixed a few years later, but the dealer refused to fix them because they said it wasn't worth fixing (by then it was about 6 years old). I complained to Chevrolet and they wouldn't do anything either, so I guess they don't stand by their vehicles. Owning this car turned this Chevy family away from buying Chevy cars....at least for a few years.

Better interior More dependable Fix recalls

A terrible, terrible excuse for a car
By shadetreegiant

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I finally traded in my 2005 Cobalt, and I couldn't be happier. The engine and transmission are good, but the rest of the car is absolute junk. The body has several spots of rust bubbling up through the paint. The interior of this car is made of the same plastic used to construct VHS tapes. The suspension is miserable and unsafe. Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Nearly all Cobalts will have a clunking noise coming from the steering column. That's because the steering column uses a plastic gear that breaks in EVERY Cobalt. At idle, the engine rattles loudly. The blower motor has chirped since 40,000 miles. The door handles are painted with chrome paint that flakes off and stabs me.

The engine is my favorite feature. It's solid and produces ample power for the car's weight. It isn't as fuel efficient as other though.

First, GM needs to realize that the Cobalt looks like a joke compared to a Civic or Focus. Second, GM needs to design the car to be more DIY friendly. Every part of this car is hard to work on. Also, please make an ignition switch that doesn't kill people... literally.

Nevermind...
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems. First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

The stereo was good I guess...

Just about everything except the stereo.

ignition recall
By wuzzle

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run