2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Nevermind...
By mikearcure on 08/26/14 22:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems. First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

ignition recall
By wuzzle on 05/06/14 11:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run

Clunking and rattling everywhere...beware
By edgexpro on 10/09/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Cobalt with only 67,000 miles on it. Since 40,000 miles there has been a horrible clunking in the front and rear suspension as well as a rattle from the steering column. I have taken it to a GM dealer and told to replace the struts, which I did with an independent shop, as well as sway bar links and bushings. This did not help anything and since then it has gotten significantly worse. Today, I replaced the lower control arms and that didn't help either. The moral of the story is this shouldn't happen on a car with lower miles.

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure on 12/19/12 21:07 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Bulletproof
By breannarae on 10/26/12 16:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32 on 08/04/12 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

Gas King
By winglimit on 06/27/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again. Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat. My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >) As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious. Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

I have a orange 2005 chevy and i love it
By tricia23sc on 01/24/12 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am 23 years old and bought my car when i was 21. I have never had a issue with it except for the basics to keep it in good shape. I live in south carolina and the back roads aren't rough on my car but i do live in florida as well and the heat doesnt ruin the paint job. It gets great highway mileage as well as city, it costs me 40 bucks to fill up with gas prices $3.09 i am a college student so traveling is a must. If i was to recommend a car it would be this one! especially to any young driver or someone who wants a reliable car. My car has over 100,000 miles and still runs great since day one

New wheels
By kiki24 on 10/20/11 09:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

Amazing car!
By amazing car! on 06/13/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in April of this year. I'm a 16 year old girl and this is my first car. I have a 2 door lt orange car automatic w. Leather seats. I absolutely love this car! I couldn't have picked a better one! I love driving it and its very reliable. I haven't had anything go wrong with it which is good. But it is a great car for new drivers! I would definitely recommend this car!