Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

2005 Chevy Cobalt major problems
By shadow076

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

On 6/22/14, I was coming home from Philadelphia and while on the Brunswick Highway, my 2005 Chevy Cobalt's dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, traction control, brakes, abs, engine lock, door locks were clicking on and off and I had to pull over 4 times off the highway. My odometer didn't work either. This also made my transmission jerk and slip. It was so bad that when it was switching gears, it was making my entire car shake. I was afraid for my life. I nearly crashed into a semi-truck because my brakes and power steering didn't work. Also, I couldn't go below 65mph on the highway because the transmission was slipping. I made it home but I was still shocked

It's been a great car!
By silveeto

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

Leather, heated seats, power windows, a/c

GM should have provided a mass recall on their intermediate steering shafts and used non-plastic parts to prevent the sloppy steering issue.

It's the best car I've owned so far
By riker93

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Cobalt 2 door in March 2011. It had 54,000 miles on it, and it ran like a brand new car. It has all the options, except a sunroof. My son drove it for his summer job, and the engine did fail, but it was fixed through the extended service contract I purchased. Only paid the $100 deductable, and a new engine was installed. Now it runs even better than before! It still looks like a new car, not one spot of rust at 8 years old. I'm now driving the car, and I have a 2010 model, cause I really like this style of car. They both run beautiful, and I have all the maintainence done as the manufacturer recommends.

I like the sporty look of the 2 door coup, I have the rear spoiler, and it makes the car look so cool.

The interior did have some paint chipping on the plastic parts, but my son took care of that, by painting them, and now it looks awesome!

Good car
By Kelly84

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Cobalt in 2005 and enjoyed having the car. I loved the gas mileage and turning radius that it had. I didn't like that the paint chipped within 2 weeks around the stereo. The door pull handle in the car broke off and I was cut badly many times.

Gas mileage and turning radius.

Better paint in the interior.

Great car
By brnwrng

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced my 05 Cavalier for an 05 Cobalt after the Cavalier was wrecked in a car accident. The Cobalt is everything the Cavalier was and more. It has great fuel mileage and has more power. The interior is a great upgrade from the Cavalier.

The price, fuel mileage, and style