2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
It's been a great car!
By silveeto on 01/21/13 12:32 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

It's the best car I've owned so far
By riker93 on 01/13/13 11:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Cobalt 2 door in March 2011. It had 54,000 miles on it, and it ran like a brand new car. It has all the options, except a sunroof. My son drove it for his summer job, and the engine did fail, but it was fixed through the extended service contract I purchased. Only paid the $100 deductable, and a new engine was installed. Now it runs even better than before! It still looks like a new car, not one spot of rust at 8 years old. I'm now driving the car, and I have a 2010 model, cause I really like this style of car. They both run beautiful, and I have all the maintainence done as the manufacturer recommends.

Good car
By Kelly84 on 02/22/09 19:03 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my Cobalt in 2005 and enjoyed having the car. I loved the gas mileage and turning radius that it had. I didn't like that the paint chipped within 2 weeks around the stereo. The door pull handle in the car broke off and I was cut badly many times.

Great car
By brnwrng on 02/02/09 07:55 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced my 05 Cavalier for an 05 Cobalt after the Cavalier was wrecked in a car accident. The Cobalt is everything the Cavalier was and more. It has great fuel mileage and has more power. The interior is a great upgrade from the Cavalier.

Buy a Scion or Civic
By marspiter on 07/10/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and she puts less then your average yearly mileage on the car. When she first bought the car it was a wonderful. In fact I actually found myself sneaking it time to time for little trips to the store. In terms of reliability. Well that's the sour point of this car. This is a list of the items that have been fixed since the car was new. Throttle body malfunctioned, Sunroof has broke and come off track twice, Every button in the interior has broke at least once. Have replaced the sunroof bezel 4 times. Electrical short in trunk that killed the electrical system. Final thoughts: Fun to drive, good gas mileage, horrible reliability. Will trade for a Honda Civic.

Great Buy
By Bob S on 03/06/08 20:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very happy with my 2005 Cobalt. The gas mileage exceeds the sticker average by a mile. At 55mph on a two hundred mile trip, we got 40.2 mpg. The car has been a pleasure to drive. City driving it gets 29mpg. It's quick and corners well.

Great, affordable car
By mrd232 on 12/18/07 12:40 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got a 2005 LS Cobalt as a lease while in college. After 34,645 miles, I have had no problems with the car. The only service the car has required are regular oil changes, seasonal maintenance, tire rotation, and yearly inspection. I have only had one issue - on occasion, CDs will stick in the player and it will return an error. They usually eject after pressing the button several times or turning the radio on and off. All in all a great car for the money. Excellent gas mileage, does well on road trips, has low road noise, and the computer gages are great for tracking gas mileage.

Easy Ownership
By Halfcent on 07/15/07 20:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a super easy car to own. It's easy to insure, easy on gas, easy to maintain, easy to drive anywhere. You will notice what seems like a very big difference in looks between the base models and the upgraded cars. Leather interior on this car makes it seems like an entirely higher grade vehicle. Spring for the extras on this one, it make a big difference. Heated seats, OnStar, MP3 radio with Pioneer speakers, many others. And it is a much better car then it's Cavalier predecessor.

Great Car For The Price!
By Crystal on 07/13/07 08:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my Cobalt. I was lucky enough to have a friend who worked for Chevy. He worked everything out for me. My Cobalt is by no means a fast sports car or a luxury Lexus or anything, but it has been a wonderful car. I have had no problems in 2 years and anything I needed done got fixed promptly and w/o out any questions from Chevy. I do wish the gas mileage was a little better, but it rides great and is comfortable for trips. It's a great car for the low price

Think before you buy
By avhhis on 06/27/07 06:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for two years and have many problems with it. It is currently in the shop right now for the 8th time and it only has 39000 miles on it. It was in the shop twice for problems with the sunroof, which is not that big of a deal. But I have had two major problems. One, the brake lines and brake fluid lines were bad. It was in the shop three times for brake issues, and the third time I took it in I had no brake fluid left in the car because of a major leak. The second problem has been with the steering. Twice I have had problems where the power steering message comes up and I lose control of the steering. If I could go back I would buy a different car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »