Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

It's a real POS
By Phillip Najarian

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car when I was in high school, I loved yellow cars and it seemed like the best thing ever, a cute little bright yellow coupe. Unfortunately, I was better off loving it from afar. I purchased this car used, and it is the base model so other models may not be this bad, but IT IS HORRIBLE. It's so loud inside the car with road noise that you can't have a conversation, the doors are MASSIVE, if you are in a close parking spot you cannot get into the vehicle because the door opens 8 feet. The doors also weigh a TON, multiple times I have been bruised massively because I stick my leg out of the car to get out and the door comes back and pins my leg. The seats are the most uncomfortable things I've ever sat on, if I ride in my car for over 30 minutes in a single day my back will be killing me, and I live out in the country so if I go anywhere beyond the gas station by my house it is over 30 minutes. The interior set up is stupid, if you push your seat all the way back you cannot reach the radio and climate controls, but if you move it closer then you feel like you're sitting at a desk because of the huge dash board. The back seat is basically nonexistent, I can fit one of my dogs back there. For such a small car it gets awful gas mileage, I usually average 25 or so, my old Dodge Neon got upwards of 40 mpg. Chevy itself is very rude about fixing the recalls on this car, and basically just acted like I didn't deserve to have a working, safe vehicle. It does what a car basically should do, it goes, it stops, it has seat belts and it has a radio which works (although the CD player does not). But it loses me on all of the little things that matter in a car, comfort, design, fuel consumption. It just doesn't make any sense as a car.

2005 Chevy Cobalt major problems
By shadow076

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

On 6/22/14, I was coming home from Philadelphia and while on the Brunswick Highway, my 2005 Chevy Cobalt's dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, traction control, brakes, abs, engine lock, door locks were clicking on and off and I had to pull over 4 times off the highway. My odometer didn't work either. This also made my transmission jerk and slip. It was so bad that when it was switching gears, it was making my entire car shake. I was afraid for my life. I nearly crashed into a semi-truck because my brakes and power steering didn't work. Also, I couldn't go below 65mph on the highway because the transmission was slipping. I made it home but I was still shocked

It's been a great car!
By silveeto

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Cobalt for 3 years. Bought with 80,000km and now have 155,000km on it. Aside from oil changes and regular maintenance I haven't had to do a thing to this car. It's fun, zippy, good on gas, and being fully loaded with leather and heated seats I really can't complain about much. The only problem is one that many 2005 gm cars had - intermediate steering shaft gets sloppy. Kind of annoying, but have never felt unsafe... just a 1/4" of play in the steering wheel. My mechanic said it was safe to drive as is or I could spend a small fortune replacing it, so obviously I went the free route, lol. Other than that it's been a fantastic car!

Leather, heated seats, power windows, a/c

GM should have provided a mass recall on their intermediate steering shafts and used non-plastic parts to prevent the sloppy steering issue.

It's the best car I've owned so far
By riker93

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Cobalt 2 door in March 2011. It had 54,000 miles on it, and it ran like a brand new car. It has all the options, except a sunroof. My son drove it for his summer job, and the engine did fail, but it was fixed through the extended service contract I purchased. Only paid the $100 deductable, and a new engine was installed. Now it runs even better than before! It still looks like a new car, not one spot of rust at 8 years old. I'm now driving the car, and I have a 2010 model, cause I really like this style of car. They both run beautiful, and I have all the maintainence done as the manufacturer recommends.

I like the sporty look of the 2 door coup, I have the rear spoiler, and it makes the car look so cool.

The interior did have some paint chipping on the plastic parts, but my son took care of that, by painting them, and now it looks awesome!

Chevy failed again
By ncx35

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Not the worst car I've ever owned. Decent on gas, cheap plastic interior, cheap everything, minimal features, has been in the shop for major repairs 4 or 5 times in the 4 years I've had it, I just got it fixed the other day and the stupid check engine light is back. Rides rough, shakes and rattles when coming to a stop, rough idle, slower than a bicycle, less than great gas mileage for a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine. This will be my last American car, ever.

none.

crappy build quality, lacks power and features, all around lame car.