Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Reliable car for the price
By Chad Thompson

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and have put a whopping 40k miles on it. The only problem it has ever gave me was a leaky fuel line which is pretty normal for an 11 year old car and was about an $80 dollar fix. It has always started and has never left me stranded. Gas mileage is very good. It drives incredibly well in the snow and the fog lights are great for bad weather. Another plus is if youre tall (im 6'4) you wont jave an issue unlike other compact cars like my girlfriends corolla. The only issue with the car are cosmetic. The car has a peely clearcoat that is getting increasingly worse and the left headlight is foggy and needs replaced, and lastly the car seems to dent fairly easily. These things can be a eye sore on nice sunny days when everyone kust finished waxing your car and your paint job is not even worth the was so ill have to pay for some fresh paint this spring (about time). Overall though this is a great car for the price for someone like me in school or someone looking to save on gas. Dont believe whay they say about chevys because theyre good little cars amd cheaper than yotas and hondas so that money you saved can go into an $80 fuel line repair and youll still be saving thousands.

2005 POS
By Jay P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt 2 1/2 years ago used from a dealer. Everything worked well and seemed like a decent car for me. Fast forward about 45,000 miles and I've put almost 3,500 dollars in it just in the past couple months to keep it on the road. I'm not beating the car to death and probably take better care of it than most. And just this week it seems I have more problems developing, on top of my already deteriorating trasmission and it's problems. I would stay far far away from cobalts. I've had to deal with multiple recalls - due to chevy's incompetence and leading to many people getting in accidents and in some cases, dying. I'm in the process of trying to sell this demon child.

A very dangerous car
By Cheri

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car I loved it. The body looked new, the inside was well maintained and it had great sound from the stereo. One day I went to unlock the driver door with my key fob, it unlocked but the door would not open. The next day I drove it and smelled some wires burning. I took it to Auto Zone and a mechanic there told me to park it before it catch on fire. He said it was a relay problem which is very dangerous. I called JDByrider and they told me to have it towed to them, I did just that. They pretty much told me I was lying about the problem and the only thing they wanted was a car payment. Not we will try and fix it or get you something else. I only had the car for seven months and still had warranty. I gave the car back over a month ago and they still have it and still want a car payment.
Never again will I buy from these people and after doing a research, this 05 cobalt is a very dangerous car. The dealers know it but trying to cover it up.

It's a real POS
By Phillip Najarian

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car when I was in high school, I loved yellow cars and it seemed like the best thing ever, a cute little bright yellow coupe. Unfortunately, I was better off loving it from afar. I purchased this car used, and it is the base model so other models may not be this bad, but IT IS HORRIBLE. It's so loud inside the car with road noise that you can't have a conversation, the doors are MASSIVE, if you are in a close parking spot you cannot get into the vehicle because the door opens 8 feet. The doors also weigh a TON, multiple times I have been bruised massively because I stick my leg out of the car to get out and the door comes back and pins my leg. The seats are the most uncomfortable things I've ever sat on, if I ride in my car for over 30 minutes in a single day my back will be killing me, and I live out in the country so if I go anywhere beyond the gas station by my house it is over 30 minutes. The interior set up is stupid, if you push your seat all the way back you cannot reach the radio and climate controls, but if you move it closer then you feel like you're sitting at a desk because of the huge dash board. The back seat is basically nonexistent, I can fit one of my dogs back there. For such a small car it gets awful gas mileage, I usually average 25 or so, my old Dodge Neon got upwards of 40 mpg. Chevy itself is very rude about fixing the recalls on this car, and basically just acted like I didn't deserve to have a working, safe vehicle. It does what a car basically should do, it goes, it stops, it has seat belts and it has a radio which works (although the CD player does not). But it loses me on all of the little things that matter in a car, comfort, design, fuel consumption. It just doesn't make any sense as a car.

2005 Chevy Cobalt major problems
By shadow076

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

On 6/22/14, I was coming home from Philadelphia and while on the Brunswick Highway, my 2005 Chevy Cobalt's dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost my power steering, traction control, brakes, abs, engine lock, door locks were clicking on and off and I had to pull over 4 times off the highway. My odometer didn't work either. This also made my transmission jerk and slip. It was so bad that when it was switching gears, it was making my entire car shake. I was afraid for my life. I nearly crashed into a semi-truck because my brakes and power steering didn't work. Also, I couldn't go below 65mph on the highway because the transmission was slipping. I made it home but I was still shocked