Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

New wheels
By kiki24

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i am a very pleased driver and owner of my fab new car that is perfect for me!!! its sleek and cool and cute just like me ;). and i love my dealer that sold me the car. mike c at barbabrino nissan in wallingford, ct

Suggested Improvements

power

Too many problems
By Dayna

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Granted, I bought my car used from a used dealership I'm reading all the above problems from all other consumers and find I'm having the same problems! Struts! Radio locking up! The metal lining on interior doors chipped and very sharp! Power steering! Shakes when I go to a stop like its going to stall out on me and now the car won't even start! The engine light just comes on!

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

everything!

Happy with the car
By 2005 Chevy Cobalt

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 27,000 miles on it and now it has 90,000+. The car has been great for us, as we have had absolutely no problems. It is a lot more fun to drive than the other economy cars. Ours is fairly loaded with the bigger tires and alloy wheels, and the spoiler. We still get compliments on the appearance of the car. Our city MPG averages about 24, and we get about 30 in the highway.

Favorite Features

Quickness, great turning circle makes it easy to get in and out of tough spots.

Suggested Improvements

The seats stain way too easily and the back seats are only comfortable for very small people.

Electric Power Steering As Useless As GM
By sgtsquarepants

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand new car I've ever bought. It's now been back to the dealership at least 10 times for various reasons. Half of which Chevy wouldn't fix. Now the topping on the cake is I'm driving down the road and the power steering simply quits. After researching the problem, it appears that this is happening to a HUGE number of vehicles. This is EXACTLY why GM is dying and I say good riddance. I'll never buy a GM product again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Recall the steering problem.

And people wonder why GM is in trouble
By John

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive, and gets great mileage. However, it is NOT reliable. I have had the rear seal replaced at 32K miles because of a sudden and massive oil leak. The interior components are of a quality that is below a Barbie toy corvette. I think it is the same plastic, minus the pink color. The latest thing is failure to start at 62k miles. No one has a clue what is wrong with it, because there are no engine codes stored in the computer! It is barely over the 60k limit, and I am now stuck with a 3200lb paper weight. Maybe GM should close up shop. This will be the last GM vehicle I own after many years of patronage.

Favorite Features

Good performance (when it runs), tight turn radius, clean exterior lines

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all of the computer BS. Get back to basics on engine operations. Electronics don't fare well in high heat and vibration. So, why in the hell do they put this stuff under the hood in the presence of high heat and vibration. Would you sit a plasma TV, or a PS3 in there? I rest my case.