2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Chevy failed again
By ncx35 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Not the worst car I've ever owned. Decent on gas, cheap plastic interior, cheap everything, minimal features, has been in the shop for major repairs 4 or 5 times in the 4 years I've had it, I just got it fixed the other day and the stupid check engine light is back. Rides rough, shakes and rattles when coming to a stop, rough idle, slower than a bicycle, less than great gas mileage for a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine. This will be my last American car, ever.

The Best Of All My Rides
By shepardj22000 on 09/04/10 18:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2005 Cobalt. It rides like a sports car, looks like a sports car, feels like a sports car, but doesn't cost as much as a high performance sports car. Mine is the Rally Yellow with cloth interior, but has the interior color as the outside body. I love my Cobalt so much, I even gave it a name, Bad Betty! With the price, handling, reliability, and style, the Cobalt is an excellent choice for and everyday vehicle. I can't wait to wake up in the morning, and drive mine everyday!

Best car I have ever owned
By Sandra Wyatt on 04/20/10 17:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2005. The primary driver is my son who is now 22. Other than regular maintenance (oil changes, fuel filter replacement, etc) the car has not required anything except new front rotors. It now has 115,000 miles on it and runs as good as the day I purchased it. It gets 28 to 32 mpg. My son has also wrecked it 3 times. Two were serious accidents and he did not get hurt in either. The most recent wreck was in March of this year when he was hit by a Semi truck. The car is currently being repaired from this wreck. I couldn't ask for a more reliable and safe vehicle. My mother recently purchased a 2009 and said she will never own another Ford again.

worst car
By danny olsen on 04/01/10 07:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt last year and ever since i have had problems with it i had to replace the radio twice cause it always said (lock or error) the power steering went out the ac started licking the bolt joint on both front wheel broke of there is still a knocking sound in both front wheel and i had a recall last week about it but the warranty is over now. That is for sure the last time i will purchase a GM product. IN SHORT STAY AWAY FROM THAT CAR. WORST CAR EVER.

Problematic
By 05 Chevy Cobalt on 03/06/10 21:03 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The many problems I have had include the car cutting completely off while I was driving, cd player locks or says error, the embellem in the back looks like it is melting, the door handles on the inside have peeled off & is sharp, there is a knocking sound in the back (very scary esp being a woman), my mirrors show different views of the car behind me (the one that says closer than they appear is actually farther away), the back seat release in the trunk broke off, piece of the seatbelt that attaches to the car broke off, etc. there are many more but i'm running out of characters! All in all the car runs and I am thankful but many problems

2005 Chevy Colbalt 2 door
By 2005 Chevy Colbolt on 02/05/10 12:26 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my chevy for 4 years and have had numerous...repairs..a/c went up leaked all over my floor, front struts replaced twiced, sunroof button replaced to many times to count, door lock on driver side went up had to be replaced, knocking noise coming from rear end(scary) interior is JUNK! Paint on radio and door handles chipped, key wont come out after shifting/pressing brake or restarting car, rotors are terrible....now my steering feels like it is going up....chevy wont do anything to fix even the minor items.

Turn Around
By Turn Away on 11/12/09 19:11 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First year: Radio replaced twice due to shorts, door panels replaced twice due to peeling, instrument cluster replaced was shorting out, a/c blower replaced was making lots of noise. Power steering went out now 1200 repair. Any review you see that is good, theyre lucky. Stay away from this car like the plague, never will buy chevy again! Emailed GM with my issues and they have never contacted me. They have issues with their cars and don't care....safety concerns....WARNING STAY AWAY!!!

Love my Cobalt
By psuphiman80 on 06/12/07 11:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a great utility car. It gets me from point A to point B in relative good style and comfort. I can't really think of anything bad about the car. I just wish I had put more options into it. Great for the tuner scene once there is a computer tune for the car.

Very Underrated
By Joel Hryniewicz on 06/08/07 15:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am always suprised to see how low the experts rate the Cobalt. I absolutely love this car! It has great looks, great gas mileage (35+ mpg), and is very comfortable. It seems to be a very well built car, and it is a blast to drive. If I had to buy a sport compact all over again, my choice would not change at all. GM did an excellent job in designing this car. Oh yeah, did I mention the great looks?

Fun at a low price tag
By kris on 05/30/06 20:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a fun cruise around the city and it has a whole lot of acceleration. It lacks a little in the handling but it makes up in the style and design.