2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cobalt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Sort Reviews by

Nevermind...
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm late writing this, but after having this car for 14 months I have to say it was worst car I've ever owned. My initial review was good, but I must've spoken too soon because not a few weeks later I started having major problems. First, the rear passenger exterior door handle broke off during normal use. Then, the car made this terrible clunking noise under the passenger seat. I took it to multiple repair shops and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, the transmission went for no reason (mind you this was an 8 year old car). It was worse than my 13 year old Cavalier! As the cost to get a new trans cost more than the car was worth, I just junked it and bought a new 2013 Kia Rio.

Favorite Features

The stereo was good I guess...

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything except the stereo.

Great Car for a Great Price
By mikearcure

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this car last month and I'm pleased so far. The car is very fun to drive and it's a great value. Styling is spot-on. My list of gripes is short. Any 2005 model car should come with standard power locks and windows and a headphone jack. No standard OnStar or center armrest. The storage bin is too small. However, most of these complaints are superficial. Overall, this is a great car that I would recommend to anyone looking for an American compact between $5,000 and $10,000. Just try to stay away from a base model car.

Favorite Features

Styling, quality, and value. A lot of chrome accents around the gauges, shift knob, and door handles. A lot of hard plastic that actually feels of high quality. Many two-tone accents around the cabin. Everything is screwed together well. Overall it looks and feels like a premium sedan, not a cheap compact.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features on the base models. A less buzzy sounding fan.

Bulletproof
By breannarae

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have to agree with Jason2012, I think the real problem you all are experiencing is operator error. My 05 Cobalt Coupe rides, handles, preforms and is more reliable than a lot of new cars my friends own. I have an extremely bad back and long trips in the car never irritate it, I find the seats very comfy. The suspension is unreal, it has nearly 150,000km on it and still runs like new. Never had any problems with it, but I always maintain it. I worked at a GM Dealer for quite a while and these cars don't often have problems. They have a bulletproof drivetrain. You could have this car for 300 000 km + if you maintain it. I just wish I had and upgraded model with more options than base.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed manual is peppy and makes this a very fun car to drive. Love the exterior and interior styling. Very comfortable to drive, excellent fuel economy. I thought the back seats would be uncomfortable or very small, and they appear quite small, but don't find them too crammed or uncomfortable. Love the tons of truck space too.

Suggested Improvements

Love this car, I just wish I had an upgraded model so I have more options rather than basic manual windows etc. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the cupholders placed directly below the heater controls on the dash. It is hard to get to the controls if you have a drink in the way.

take care of it/takes care of me
By steve

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 4 door base model cobalt new 09/05. I bought a "cheap" model, so, my expectations were commensurate. 79,520 miles later I am quite pleased with my investment. Only problems to date, ignition coil went out at 23,000 miles, warranty replacement. Also, A/C evap drain was plugged with insulation on the firewall, allowing condensate water to drain inside the vehicle passenger side front. this I found myself, after dealer said no problems detected. Tire pressures checked min. of twice/week. rotate every 5,000 miles along with the oil changes, only have used synthetic 5/30. new air filter every 10k, replace HVAC filter spring/fall, plugs every 25,000 miles. fun to drive and own!

Favorite Features

ecotec 2.2l engine, the battery in the trunk makes for ample room under hood for DIY repairs, oil filter design is less messy to change than most other vehicles, cockpit is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None, for a $14,000 car, is very well equipped.

Too Many Problems
By April

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new and soon after had AC/Heat problems. Dealer fixed those. Replaced tires not long after that. Car always pulls to the left. Interior is breaking and chipping. Had to have a shifting solenoid replaced. A/C started leaking into the car after the warranty was up. We were told it was over-charged and would correct itself (not true). Had to replace tires again. Shifter wouldn't go into park so unable to turn car off. Way too many problems for a new car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much everything needs improved upon. I think they should recall the cobalt for the AC problem that many are having and also the power steering that I've read about. Way sell a junky car and not stand behind it.

Great car so far
By jo26

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great so far. I bought it over two years ago and it is currently at around 60000 miles. The car gets fairly good miles per gallon, but it goes down considerably when you drive above 65 miles/hour. The cost of the car is also very affordable. (kind of a long cons list, but they are all pretty minor things)

Favorite Features

The cost, for a small car it is fairly spacious, nice exterior look, so far no engine problems, never had a problem starting even in very cold weather (i.e. ND winters).

Suggested Improvements

The seats could be more comfortable, the factory windshield wipers are poor, some minor interior design flaws, would be nice if it came with power windows/locks, keyless entry and cruise standard.

this is why imports are better
By jhodges83@yahoo.com

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've always had import cars. I've had an 02 eclipse and a 03 Audi 1.8t. Due to the economy and a recent child I need to get something a little more reasonable. I found an 05 cobalt an decided to buy it. Well now I've had it for a month an I'm mad about it. The thing is junk. It looks like a big piece of plastic. The inside looks looks cheaply made. Even my base eclipse looked an drove a of a lot better then this.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

the seats are the most uncomfortable i've ever sat in.

POWER STEERING
By TODD W.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Cobalt is a fun car to scoot around town but the reliability of this vehicle severely lacks the dependability that a Chevy product should have. This is the 2nd time I've had to put vehicle in shop because of the power steering problem. If dealership can't fix the problem, why don't they admit to it and possibly buyout the vehicle or offer a refund on balance of loan - to put toward another vehicle (not GM). This continuing problem has changed my mind about GM products (not to the better).

Favorite Features

Power of a 4 cylinder - when it is working properly. The fuel economy is great. The easy mobility in traffic. The fold down back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade on the interior...upholstery.

Average, But A Good First Car
By Cris

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it's a good point a to b kind of car it's nothing special but it does what it's supposed to. I got it for around 10k used with 20k miles on it. Not a bad price at all, but unfortunately lacking in features. No power windows/locks; therefore no keyless entry either. It just surprises me that these features aren't standard these days. Every car should have them. The Cobalt is a great car for a first time driver though; it's cheap, fuel efficient, got a little bit of power, and doesn't look half bad in most colors (mine is white and it's really not the best looking color for the car). Standard cruise control would be nice too.

Favorite Features

Pretty fast for a little 4 cylinder. Has pretty good gas mileage, not great but it's alright. What I love the most is that it displays oil % and other important features right underneath the speedometer in an easy to read and navigate display.

Suggested Improvements

I've had a few problems with my 05 Cobalt, that I'm not entirely sure are the car itself or the owner before myself. AC makes a whistling birdy sound and sometimes leaks. CD player won't read CD's sometimes giving me an ERR message. Other than that just the power windows/locks issue.

Never Buy This Car
By Meg

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2008. Been down hill since day 1. W/in the 1st week, the rear passenger window seal was bad, several fuses had to be replaced, the key got stuck in the ignition and the entire steering column was replaced bc it wouldn't lock into gear. Still does it. The glove box rattles, the instrument panel lights don't come on when the headlamps are on. The clock constantly resets itself to 12:00. The trunk now rattles. The plastic interior scratches way too easily. I know it's not a Lexus, but GM could have done a better job. Will never buy GM again. All I can say is you'll defiantly be using that warranty! Be careful!

Favorite Features

The ride is nice. It looks good, when the paint doesn't chip off. Comfortable for long rides. Gas mileage is good- 50 mile commute each day. Average sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts, period. We're all having trouble these days & the last thing we need is to invest more money into something that was so poorly built. Make more things standard, like windows and locks. It's 2009!