Used 1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 3500 Series model:

Quality truck
By 70dave

1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series C3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab LB

Bought this truck used with 97,000 miles. Initially bougt a single rear wheel 3500 with 350/auto. Truck was OK, but I really wanted a dually. Went back to same dealership looking to trade and found this crew cab dually with 454/5 spd. What an awesome truck! It has the Western Hauler package which for this truck is basically badging, nice wood console and a 90gal bed mounted gas tank. We use it to pull a 5th wheel camper and it doesn't even know it's there. Maybe not the towing torque of a diesel but for my needs its great and you can't beat the sound of a big block through Flowmasters. My son thinks it's cool to leave four black marks! Do that with a diesel!

Roomy interior, reliability, easy to work on, has good ride for a big truck that improves with a load.

Bet you think I'm gonna say gas mileage. What would you expect, but it's as good or better than my dad's 8 liter 2500HD.

This is a beast.
By L0ve my Ch3vy

1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Cheyenne 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I have never owned a truck and needed one for work. I picked this one up at an auction and really had no idea what it had been through. It has some body damage and has been a fleet vehicle so I knew it has seen some rough days but the price was righ so I bought it. I've had it for about 6 months and haven't had to do anything to it even though I've put on over 15000 miles. It is a monster but is still easy to drive. The back seat is the biggest most comfortable I've ever seen. I've loaded it with over 2500 pounds of hardwood and honestly, I hardly noticed. The 4wd is rad. It's just a solid, reliable workmonster.

Manly good looks. I love being the longest truck in any parking lot. I can haul whatever want. I would probably enjoy getting in an accident with it (peace of mind).

A tually (like a dually but with three tires instead of two). That would look pretty ridiculous!

It never let me down
By Justin

1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I really never needed a truck this heavy duty, but it was a windfall. I was very surprised with how comfortable and roomy the interior was. It was our favorite vehicle to take on long trips, or at least it would have been, if it wasn't for the miserable 12mpg the 454 gets. The ride was stiff, but I expected that. I never really put the truck to the test, but I never had to worry about anything with it. It never left us stranded and we walked away from a highway collision at 65mph with only seatbelt bruises, so it is very safe as well.

I will miss the reliability. I had to make a couple repairs (and the parts for this thing were not cheap!) but the only time it ever didn't work, was when my battery dropped a cell (and you can't blame that on the truck). I can only hope I will be able to count on my next vehicle as much.

I agree with some of the others that have said it needs more braking power. I had to leave lots of room even without any load; I would hate to have to stop a heavy trailer with those brakes.

Went Through Fuel Pumps Like Candy
By wyomingwapiti

1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This was my work truck. Traded it in last year. It had 86,000 miles on trade-in. If it wasnt for 4 fuel pumps going out during the span I owned the vehicle I would have liked this vehicle better. The fuel pump w labor cost $650. Ouch! I was told by the dealer that the reason was I needed to change my gas filter every 12K. I was changing fuel pumps every 12K! Power came from a 454 cu v8. Was underpowered for pulling trailers which I do alot of. Mileage was about 12 mpg highway.

Power Seats, Power Windows. Ride quality. Adequate mileage.

Chevy needs to improve their fuel pumps. It has been an ongoing issue on their light duty truck line up for quite some time. Better clearance

Great Truck
By tbone25

1998 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

Cheverolet Builds trucks that are
extremely tough and ready to work. The
ride in this and all Chevy's is at the
top of the class. This truck is built
for comfort whether you are driving it
in town or on the highway. There is
plenty of room in the front or back
seats for kids or tall adults to sit
comfortably. .

When you ride in this truck you don't realize you are in a truck, it is very smooth, something you wouldn't expect from a 4WD. Towing is a breeze, plenty of HP.

The two things that could be better is if Chevy put a little bit more aggressive tires on stock and the gas mileage. The 7.4 liter engine gets about 11 mpg in town or on the highway.