Used 1996 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 3500 Series model:

Old Faithful
By jrl423

1996 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series C3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab LB

This is absolutely the best truck I have ever owned. It has the vortec 350 engine, auto, 2 wheel drive and single rear axle. I originally got this to haul a 36' bumper pull camper trailer. It did with no issues. I have hauled fifth wheels up to 40' and bobcats I rented with no problem. With 105,000 on it now it is still better than anything I test drive to replace it. Gas mileage is not bad unless its fully loaded. Other than regular maintenance all I have done is replace an AC compressor. Every time I think about getting something different,I just drive it to the dealer , look at the sticker and fall in love with my truck again.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, and true long bed.Reliable, Wish they built them like that today.

Suggested Improvements

Paint. The paint had issues that year. It cracked. I believe they had gone to a new process at GM and all GM cars and trucks had paint issues then.

Farm truck
By Don Robinson

1996 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This truck has been on the farm for 11 years, and with minor problems and one recall, has been trouble free and hard working. We have hauled cattle, fertilizer and chemicals, wood, machinery and countless other loads and the thing just keeps going. This engine did have an injector pump problem, but GM extended the warranty out and the problem was fixed on a 10 year old truck- no questions asked. I am keeping this truck for around the farm, but hope the new Duramax will prove as serviceable as this K 3500.

Favorite Features

While not the biggest on the block, the 6.5 diesel has been equal to the tasks given it. The cab is comfortable and quiet and the AC has been flawless.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement this truck could use might the transmission, and this was answered some time back by Allison. This transmission has been flawless withnormal maintenance but has more slip on hill pulls than current models with a load.

96 Silverado 3500 Dualy Diesel A/T 2 w/d
By J Howard

1996 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series C3500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab LB

I like driving it w/o a load. I cannot get the pulling power I expected even though I have spent $1,500 to solve the problem. The dealer does not have an answer. I take very good care of it and do all the maintenance. I can barely pull a loaded 4 horse trailer or a 27' cabin boat. If I cannot solve soon, I will give up and go to another unit.

Favorite Features

It is an upgraded truck with all the features including a matching high top and is a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I understand that a performance chip to give the 6.5 liter engine more power is available.