Exactly what I was looking for!
By Rod on
1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series C2500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB
I found it this spring in a used private deal and consider myself lucky. It is now about 11 years old with 200,000 km on odometer, with perfect body shape, and pretty good interior. I do not need a 4x4 diesel HD 3/4T (far too expensive to purchase, too large, too tall, higher operating and maintenance costs, etc.), but I do need to be able to pull my 7900# (gross) travel trailer and family safely on the highway. This has a 350 (5.7L) engine, rated to pull a 8000# hitch travel trailer, and has a payload capacity about 2200#, which suits my needs perfect. Too many people overload their 1/2 tons pulling a trailer or buy something far more than they need.
Favorite Features
GM comfort and reliability, style, not too high, not too heavy, sufficient interior space and sufficient payload capacity for my trailering needs. GM needs to look at changing some of their new truck lineup to provide replacement vehicles for these strong utility (but not heavy duty) vehicles.
Suggested Improvements
Of course, a 3rd and 4th door on the extended cab, which the new ones all now have, and when you make a decision to own and drive a trailer hauler, you sacrifice fuel cost for your other general use. I am sure that this can be improved in our new age of high fuel costs.