1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 2500 Series model:
leaky intake gasket chevy truck
By craig on 03/29/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Truck is a TRUCK, a workhorse will do what you want it to do. I do not like the thermal 4wd actuator it stinks when it goes out. also the intake manifold gasket leak problem these chevy's have. BUT OVERALL it is a good truck and love to drive it Flush the DEX COOL and use GREEN ANTIFREEZE it works best

Exactly what I was looking for!
By Rod on 07/23/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series C2500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB

I found it this spring in a used private deal and consider myself lucky. It is now about 11 years old with 200,000 km on odometer, with perfect body shape, and pretty good interior. I do not need a 4x4 diesel HD 3/4T (far too expensive to purchase, too large, too tall, higher operating and maintenance costs, etc.), but I do need to be able to pull my 7900# (gross) travel trailer and family safely on the highway. This has a 350 (5.7L) engine, rated to pull a 8000# hitch travel trailer, and has a payload capacity about 2200#, which suits my needs perfect. Too many people overload their 1/2 tons pulling a trailer or buy something far more than they need.

Quality Built
By Steve on 01/09/08 10:35 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased my PU new and have had few problems. I have had to replace the intake manifold gasket and that is about all. As with any vehicle, owners must pop the hood once in awhile and inspect. I replace the serpentine belt every 20000 and inspect all pulleys. I have alway used synthetic oil in the engine, transmission and rear end. I grease all zerks every 5000 miles. After vehicle was purchase I installed a complete 5000 lb air lift system on it. This is a must if you are going to be hauling or towing large loads. Bottom line is perform routine preventive maintenance unless you enjoy being stranded along the highway.

pretty but fragile
By A Golden on 12/02/07 07:19 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

My truck has been very lightly used. First, a list of problems: alternator, fuel pump, intake manifold gaskets (twice), engine control module( left me sitting on the side of the road while on vaction), serpentine belt tensioner (fell off and left me sitting the side of the road on another vacation), rusty brake lines, transfer case output shaft retaining clip, ( this broke and left me on the side of the road after loading 1/2 yard of mulch on it), Water pump. I'm sure I've forgotten some others.Oh yah, wiper control module. The steering is too sensitive, It is tiring to drive on a trip with constant corrections. Never offroad. Put a load of wood on it and the rear sags excessively.

USEFUL
By Nick Arceneaux on 03/02/05 13:53 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series C2500 HD Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is the most reliable truck I ever have driven, it withstands extreme abuse on a daily basis and I have only had to change a clutch and a fuel pump. It is easy to work on, I have done all repairs except the clutch changing, and it is a good truck to teach people how to drive a standard.

7 Years of Great Service
By Mr. Safety on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

During the 7 years I've owned the truck, I never had a major equipment failure. The only cons were the tires (Continental General Ameri 500) wore out and cracked @ 24,000 miles. The front brake pads were toast at 27,000 miles, which inturn ate my front rotors. The rear shoes show little sign of wear at 45,000 miles. The body looks as good as the day I bought it, thanks to Zimoyl wax, but New England winters are hard on Detroit iron and I am trading it before cancer sets in (which is always terminal from the copious amounts of salt used on our highways). And yes, I am buying the same truck in a 2004 model.

built like a rock
By chevyman678 on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

best truck built. tought, dependable and long lasting. can handle anything you throw at it. a monster!

Disappointed
By Jeffrey S. on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have always been a "Chevy Man", now I am not so sure. This truck is supposed to be a HEAVY DUTY TRUCK. Transmission blew up at 75,000 mi, passenger seat broke 4 times, windshield wipers broke once, and leather seats ripped. The radio lights don't work anymore, and GM has to send out the radio to AC Delco for repair, about 2 - 3 weeks. This truck does not have a third door and desperatley needs one. Interior design sucks, no room for passengers in back. Terrible to get in and out of. Also has interior rattles/noises. Not too much room for storage!!! I can go on and on!