Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series

View reviews for a specific C/K 2500 Series model:

leaky intake gasket chevy truck
By craig

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Truck is a TRUCK, a workhorse will do what you want it to do. I do not like the thermal 4wd actuator it stinks when it goes out. also the intake manifold gasket leak problem these chevy's have. BUT OVERALL it is a good truck and love to drive it Flush the DEX COOL and use GREEN ANTIFREEZE it works best

TOUGH, ride quality is great,

use a motor 4wd actuator, use better intake gaskets and do not use DEX COOL antifreeze

Exactly what I was looking for!
By Rod

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series C2500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB

I found it this spring in a used private deal and consider myself lucky. It is now about 11 years old with 200,000 km on odometer, with perfect body shape, and pretty good interior. I do not need a 4x4 diesel HD 3/4T (far too expensive to purchase, too large, too tall, higher operating and maintenance costs, etc.), but I do need to be able to pull my 7900# (gross) travel trailer and family safely on the highway. This has a 350 (5.7L) engine, rated to pull a 8000# hitch travel trailer, and has a payload capacity about 2200#, which suits my needs perfect. Too many people overload their 1/2 tons pulling a trailer or buy something far more than they need.

GM comfort and reliability, style, not too high, not too heavy, sufficient interior space and sufficient payload capacity for my trailering needs. GM needs to look at changing some of their new truck lineup to provide replacement vehicles for these strong utility (but not heavy duty) vehicles.

Of course, a 3rd and 4th door on the extended cab, which the new ones all now have, and when you make a decision to own and drive a trailer hauler, you sacrifice fuel cost for your other general use. I am sure that this can be improved in our new age of high fuel costs.

Quality Built
By Steve

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I purchased my PU new and have had few problems. I have had to replace the intake manifold gasket and that is about all. As with any vehicle, owners must pop the hood once in awhile and inspect. I replace the serpentine belt every 20000 and inspect all pulleys. I have alway used synthetic oil in the engine, transmission and rear end. I grease all zerks every 5000 miles. After vehicle was purchase I installed a complete 5000 lb air lift system on it. This is a must if you are going to be hauling or towing large loads. Bottom line is perform routine preventive maintenance unless you enjoy being stranded along the highway.

Build bed with heavier gauge steel. Don't install speakers in doors where they can easily get wet when rolling down the window.

pretty but fragile
By A Golden

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series K2500 HD Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

My truck has been very lightly used. First, a list of problems: alternator, fuel pump, intake manifold gaskets (twice), engine control module( left me sitting on the side of the road while on vaction), serpentine belt tensioner (fell off and left me sitting the side of the road on another vacation), rusty brake lines, transfer case output shaft retaining clip, ( this broke and left me on the side of the road after loading 1/2 yard of mulch on it), Water pump. I'm sure I've forgotten some others.Oh yah, wiper control module. The steering is too sensitive, It is tiring to drive on a trip with constant corrections. Never offroad. Put a load of wood on it and the rear sags excessively.

Comfortable. Huge aftermarket support.

I live in a large city and all of the dealers are inept and arrogant!!! And they wonder why GM market share is falling like a rock! GM, stop building vehicles that are just good enough!

USEFUL
By Nick Arceneaux

1997 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Series C2500 HD Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is the most reliable truck I ever have driven, it withstands extreme abuse on a daily basis and I have only had to change a clutch and a fuel pump. It is easy to work on, I have done all repairs except the clutch changing, and it is a good truck to teach people how to drive a standard.

POWERFUL! I love the power and ease to work on!

Better seats...I have the legendary driver's side Chevy hole in the seat