Used 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series LS Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Great to own a truck and Chevy again
By sstevek

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Now that there's room in the driveway I wanted a pickup truck. Mine is actually a '99, but looks like '98 with an engine of that year, a 5.0 V8 with an automatic transmission. Wanted a manual, but they're almost impossible to find with 4WD. I bought it in April 2013 with 156K on it. It runs great - the 5.0 V8 is fine for me. It will mostly be used for dump runs and hauling firewood. I'm used to driving a Subaru so gas consumption seems excessive - not a big deal though. I think the '94(?) to '98 design is one of the best. The truck is a pleasure to drive - there's some kind of charm and appeal to it. I'm surprised how well it handles - it doesn't feel ponderous. Visibility is excellent.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
I got an email asking to update the review. I no longer own this truck - traded it in for a 2WD Dodge Dakota due to the Silverado intermittently getting stuck in 4WD. The Dodge was OK, but due to circumstances I thought it was necessary to have 4WD again, and I was having a hard time getting comfortable in the much smaller cab of the Dodge. A family member potentially would need to borrow a vehicle. Because of where he lived at the time, I wanted him to have 4WD. So I bought and still have - a 2001 Silverado. This one is a keeper. Financially it certainly would have been better (and likely worth it) to put money into the '99. I still see many on the road and I'd still recommend one.

ABS
By Brad C

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I noticed several comments about the ABS on the 1999 models. It's a shame that GM didn't step up to the plate and address this issue. I've experienced light issues with the stereo backlights, major pain to fix. Also had issues with wind noise from front windshield molding. Also experienced wind noise through pop open window on 3rd door, another demon to fix since entire window has to be replaced (tell me GM didn't see this one coming) However, despite a few issues the truck is great, almost 200k miles and still doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.

Durability, styling

ABS system, wind noise issues, stereo lighting

C/K1500
By wpowell

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it new in 1998. very nice truck. It's had a vibration since day one, and still has it from wheels or driveshaft?. I had driveshaft balanced, and wheels also. It has been very reliable, and the engine runs strong. Great brakes!

Engine, well built.

Vibration, better gas mileage, steering wheel tilt adjustment control

I love my truck
By ztlamont

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

The engine is tough! I have put on 20,000 miles on this truck in one year and the power is amazing. It has a smooth ride and plenty of room on the inside for the big men in the world. I would recomend this truck to anyone, by far my favorite.

The engine

Better welds for the exhaust system

My dream truck
By J. Tallen

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased the vehicle 3 years ago and will never regret it despite some problems. I replaced all brake pads and shoes as the ones installed on the truck when purchased were defective bonded type. The front disc brake assemblies pull the wheels unevenly requiring force on the steering wheel to keep the vehicle straight. The engine block to head joints were repaired to correct coolant leaks. The radiator now has a small leak at an oil cooler joint. One of the exhaust manifolds leaks slightly where it bolts to cylinder head. Despite the problems, the vehicle is a pleasure to drive; very comfortable and powerful. I've driven it on three vacation trips of several hundred miles without incident.

AM/FM/Cassette/CD and sound system, very good. Power windows. Power side mirrors. Rear view mirror compass. Tilt wheel. Powerful engine. Driving position, excellent visability. Cruise control works flawlessly. Daytime headlights.

Extended cab door on drivers side, taken care of in later model. The single disc CD player should be replaced with a 6-CD storage.