1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Review: Not a good tow vehicle!

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Review

Not a good tow vehicle!
By edr on

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 1998 Chevy K1500 with a 5.0/5 speed, to tow a 22' sailboat. It does not have enough torque at a low enough RPM. I even have to downshift from 5th to 3rd going uphill, with no load. Horsepower is lacking also. I also have a 1998 Chevy Metro which is capable of faster acceleration than the truck, when both are empty. I added tie down points to the floor of the bed, because GM evidently didn't think anyone would actually try to haul anything with this "truck". I hauled an empty boat trailer weighing 1500# and this truck only got 11mpg on the highway! I would never buy another one like it. I am seriously considering buying back my S10, to haul my boat- it had torque!

I like the 5 speed trans. and the seats are comfortable.

GM trucks need more power and torque at a lower rpm, like the old 4.3 v6 had. Gas mileage decreases significantly when high rpm is necessary, (as it is in this truck) just to be able to upshift. If rpm is below 3500, you can't even maintain your speed when towing--or going uphill empty.