Used 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Not a good tow vehicle!
By edr

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 1998 Chevy K1500 with a 5.0/5 speed, to tow a 22' sailboat. It does not have enough torque at a low enough RPM. I even have to downshift from 5th to 3rd going uphill, with no load. Horsepower is lacking also. I also have a 1998 Chevy Metro which is capable of faster acceleration than the truck, when both are empty. I added tie down points to the floor of the bed, because GM evidently didn't think anyone would actually try to haul anything with this "truck". I hauled an empty boat trailer weighing 1500# and this truck only got 11mpg on the highway! I would never buy another one like it. I am seriously considering buying back my S10, to haul my boat- it had torque!

I like the 5 speed trans. and the seats are comfortable.

GM trucks need more power and torque at a lower rpm, like the old 4.3 v6 had. Gas mileage decreases significantly when high rpm is necessary, (as it is in this truck) just to be able to upshift. If rpm is below 3500, you can't even maintain your speed when towing--or going uphill empty.

First Year
By vintagenick

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB

After always driving new trucks (Fords and a Nissan), I tried used - bought this GM. Wow! A truck that is not full of frills, bells, whistles that aren't needed. It is a true truck for the guy who really uses a truck. I haul large items frequently and pull a trailer. I also take it on long distance interstate trips. It is an incredibly solid and reliable truck so far, and has plenty of room for the family. My mechanic swears that with good regular maintenance, I can easily get 250000 miles out of the motor. Bought it with 69000 - it now has 81500. I never thought I'd like a GM, but now I love 'em!

Visibility, acceleration, ride, comfort, hauling & towing capabilities

Better cruise control switches, quieter wipers, gear shift should not block heat controls

Solid Truck
By Anonymous

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had great luck with the truck. No mechanical or electrical problems. I intend to keep it 18-20 more years and if and when I do have problems, most of the equipment is accessible

Pewter/champagne color, seats sit higher than new model trucks. I'm 5'10" and I like that. It rides quiet and I like the 'square look' of the front end

I only have two doors. 3rd or 4th door and more room in extended cab seating area. Also have had trouble with opening center console box.

My favorite vehicle ever
By Samuel

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck is an excellent ride. Plenty of power with the 5.7l V-8, although gas mileage is not very good. I can pull/haul anything with virtually no power lag. It is good in the snow, just make sure you have sand bags and good tires. There is plenty of room on the interior. My truck has always started and run beautifully. She has 97k miles right now, but she still is a beauty! Make sure to care for your paint. Wash, wax, polish, detail, detail, detail. I always get compliments on my truck because I keep her clean. She has her scratches and dings, but she looks brand new parked by herself.

The styling. I love the way my truck looks and drives. Plenty of power.

I do not like where the tire toolkit is located. Under the rear seat, passenger side. Not my favorite place to have that.

Very Good Truck
By rohio

I bought this with 95K on the odometer. I have put 14K on it in 6 months, without a single penny of repair! It also impressed me this year with some of the heavier than expected snow. It never lost traction, or got me stuck. Seems to be a very reliable truck overall.

No frills interior. Some items that would be extra in other trucks; i.e. full gauge package, reading lamps, etc. make it a nice vehicle to drive.

Glove box space seems small, and the tilt wheel could lower one more notch, so as not to block the speedometer