1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Very Good Truck
By rohio on 02/25/05 00:35 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this with 95K on the odometer. I have put 14K on it in 6 months, without a single penny of repair! It also impressed me this year with some of the heavier than expected snow. It never lost traction, or got me stuck. Seems to be a very reliable truck overall.

I am glad I bought it
By k.rutland on 02/09/05 10:50 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new and the price scared me to death. However, I have had no major problem at all. Still looks great! Drives great! The paint shines up fantastic. Now that it is paid for I love it even more. 4wd is awesome & easy, power is fantastic and third door nice. Quiet also. I would definitely buy this truck again! Vortec engine is dependable and the ride of this truck is very nice.

Don't Ever Want to Let It Go!
By CB on 01/26/05 23:17 PM (PST)

This truck is my baby and it's like that old faithful dog. I would sink more money into this truck to keep it and keep it running than I probably should. Everything has been great with this truck until 2004. The ABS speed sensor has gone bad in the RF wheel and gives a very bad vibration when braking under 5mph. It is now sitting in the driveway awaiting a new clutch and fuel pump. I put bigger tires on it and never have any problems in 4WD. I pull trailers and haul everything imaginable. It's pulls and hauls like a princess, without effort. The mileage, 18-20 on the highway and a very smooth ride are great. Withstood a 50mph collision with a 12pt buck and nary more than a scratch.

most expensive truck ever
By marshallaw on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I had to take out a second mortage for all the repairs on this truck!! 115500 miles and already a new transmission, water pump, fuel pump, ball joints, abs sensors,What a piece of junk!! Should have got a Ford!

big red toy
By eagle362 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I've come to love my truck very much. Having no problems w/ anything mechanical or electical. Fetures on the truck suite my needs just fine. It preforms very well on and off road, in all types of situations including, deep mud and hevy snow.

One of the Best
By FlyBoy6871 on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have 137000 miles on this truck and it runs great. The tranny died at 113k, but other than that this truck has had no problems whatsoever. It burns no oil, starts right up, and has held up really well. I'll get another 100k out of it no problem. I average 18 mpg on highway, and 12 in the city.I drove 13000 miles in seven weeks on a cross country trip about a year ago in it going as fast as the governor let me (98mph) and it did great. Very comfortable seats for such a long trip. It's a shame they don't build the new ones like this.

Great 98
By Swampy86 on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This has been a great truck, my first truck a SWB 2WD 1989, I traded it on on this 1998 K1500 EXT CAB 4WD. I have not put the 159,000 that I put on my 1989 in the 9.5 years that I owned it, but so far this truck has been rock solid.

Good But Not Great
By bsb on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall this has been a good vehicle. The brakes are the main complaint. I usually get about 30,000 miles per set on the front. The rear linings are fine. The brakes have never felt that strong. The alternator failed at about 75,000 miles. The rear brake cylinders failed at 94,000 miles at a cost of $450.00 as well as the pitman and idler arms, another $400.00. For the most part I have enjoyed the truck. It has a comfortable ride and enough horsepower to handle most jobs. This truck would be ideal if not for the problems listed above.

I Love it
By NGC07 on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Like the power of the 5.7L, enough but not too much

Solid dependable workhorse
By bkgwolf1 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Solid workhorse. The Silverado package is the way to go if you go used on these. Had it 3 years, only had to replace the waterpump and front brakes. 350 if a proven platform that GM improved yet again with the introduction is Sequential fuel injection. Tows a big bass boat with no problems. Can't wait to get back from overseas to drive it, in storage now.