1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Not a good tow vehicle!
By edr on 09/19/05 23:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 1998 Chevy K1500 with a 5.0/5 speed, to tow a 22' sailboat. It does not have enough torque at a low enough RPM. I even have to downshift from 5th to 3rd going uphill, with no load. Horsepower is lacking also. I also have a 1998 Chevy Metro which is capable of faster acceleration than the truck, when both are empty. I added tie down points to the floor of the bed, because GM evidently didn't think anyone would actually try to haul anything with this "truck". I hauled an empty boat trailer weighing 1500# and this truck only got 11mpg on the highway! I would never buy another one like it. I am seriously considering buying back my S10, to haul my boat- it had torque!

First Year
By vintagenick on 09/03/05 19:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB

After always driving new trucks (Fords and a Nissan), I tried used - bought this GM. Wow! A truck that is not full of frills, bells, whistles that aren't needed. It is a true truck for the guy who really uses a truck. I haul large items frequently and pull a trailer. I also take it on long distance interstate trips. It is an incredibly solid and reliable truck so far, and has plenty of room for the family. My mechanic swears that with good regular maintenance, I can easily get 250000 miles out of the motor. Bought it with 69000 - it now has 81500. I never thought I'd like a GM, but now I love 'em!

One Solid Truck
By Chris Stevens on 07/15/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I've had my 1998 K1500 Silverado for almost four years now, and the only repair it needed was a new set of U- joints. Well built, the last of the old style before the 99's, so everything was pretty much perfected. Good acceleration and pulling power with the 5.7 liter, and gas milage better than Ford or Dodge.

Solid Truck
By Anonymous on 06/21/05 12:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had great luck with the truck. No mechanical or electrical problems. I intend to keep it 18-20 more years and if and when I do have problems, most of the equipment is accessible

My favorite vehicle ever
By Samuel on 05/02/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck is an excellent ride. Plenty of power with the 5.7l V-8, although gas mileage is not very good. I can pull/haul anything with virtually no power lag. It is good in the snow, just make sure you have sand bags and good tires. There is plenty of room on the interior. My truck has always started and run beautifully. She has 97k miles right now, but she still is a beauty! Make sure to care for your paint. Wash, wax, polish, detail, detail, detail. I always get compliments on my truck because I keep her clean. She has her scratches and dings, but she looks brand new parked by herself.

Very Good Truck
By rohio on 02/25/05 00:35 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this with 95K on the odometer. I have put 14K on it in 6 months, without a single penny of repair! It also impressed me this year with some of the heavier than expected snow. It never lost traction, or got me stuck. Seems to be a very reliable truck overall.

I am glad I bought it
By k.rutland on 02/09/05 10:50 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new and the price scared me to death. However, I have had no major problem at all. Still looks great! Drives great! The paint shines up fantastic. Now that it is paid for I love it even more. 4wd is awesome & easy, power is fantastic and third door nice. Quiet also. I would definitely buy this truck again! Vortec engine is dependable and the ride of this truck is very nice.

Don't Ever Want to Let It Go!
By CB on 01/26/05 23:17 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is my baby and it's like that old faithful dog. I would sink more money into this truck to keep it and keep it running than I probably should. Everything has been great with this truck until 2004. The ABS speed sensor has gone bad in the RF wheel and gives a very bad vibration when braking under 5mph. It is now sitting in the driveway awaiting a new clutch and fuel pump. I put bigger tires on it and never have any problems in 4WD. I pull trailers and haul everything imaginable. It's pulls and hauls like a princess, without effort. The mileage, 18-20 on the highway and a very smooth ride are great. Withstood a 50mph collision with a 12pt buck and nary more than a scratch.

most expensive truck ever
By marshallaw on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I had to take out a second mortage for all the repairs on this truck!! 115500 miles and already a new transmission, water pump, fuel pump, ball joints, abs sensors,What a piece of junk!! Should have got a Ford!

big red toy
By eagle362 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've come to love my truck very much. Having no problems w/ anything mechanical or electical. Fetures on the truck suite my needs just fine. It preforms very well on and off road, in all types of situations including, deep mud and hevy snow.