1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Chevy Strong
By Kaven Johnson on 04/15/08 21:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Purchased the pickup a few months back. Has the 5.7 Vortec V8 350 (Monster of torque) Has 102,000 miles and could be sold as brand new. Would trust this vehicle to drive across country and back. Fuel could last a little longer but getting about 16mpg in town which is not bad for a heavy pickup. Everything has held up from paint/clear coat to 0 rust and mechanics. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone needing a powerful yet smooth ride.

disappointed with Chev
By alicat2 on 12/20/07 19:00 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a 1988 chev and was real happy with it. Bought a used 98 last yr with a 5 litre, auto, 2 wheel dr,and it has cost me plenty. The trani went for a $3,000 touch, rear pinon bearing, manifold gasket, drive shaft seal, thermostat, heater coupler, rad, fuel pump humms like a 747 ready to take off, it's been replaced once already, truck wonders on the road, no pulling power, interior lights work sometimes, frnt seats rattle and move while locked in place, rear seat does the same, squeeky 3rd dr, crappy tire jack design, try changing a tire at 30 below! I'm already looking for a different truck. Really disappointed in Chev.

Nice truck
By Driesterer on 08/11/07 08:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Plenty of power. This truck has 4:10 rear end gear ratio so it pulls trailers easily. And it rides nice too. This is the first truck I have owned that my wife doesn't mind driving.

GM got it right on this one
By JBKnight on 05/19/07 08:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 38k miles on it, now have 190k with origional engine and major parts. Had to replace normal stuff like alternator, water pump, starter and things that wore out. Known problems with these are a short list. Intake manifold leak, usually around 120k miles or so. Once fixed it is great. Fuel pumps, weak, on my 3rd one. The Vortec higher fuel pressure puts a stress on the GM pumps and when they go, can be real pricey. Radiator cracked at plastic side tank. 5.7 Vortec engine is the greatest, real good power, and with the bed loaded I still get 17mpg highway which I don't consider bad for a truck of this size. Holding value better then any car or truck I have owned.

Best 9yr old I know
By Eric on 05/01/07 15:32 PM (PDT)

My father bought this truck brand new in '98. I got it in 2000 and I've been driving it since. Great truck, no major problems. The salt air along the coast has taken a toll on the bumpers but other than that cosmetically it's clean. Recently had a dealership mechanic look at it, he couldn't believe it had 170,000 mi on it and told me the engine sounds better than the new trucks they sell.

Reliable. powerful, but heavy.
By matt on 05/03/06 01:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got my 98 z71 with only 34k miles on it a few years ago. It's very well built. Easier to work on than other vehicles. Throw a lift and some tires on it and you're ready

Not a good tow vehicle!
By edr on 09/19/05 23:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 1998 Chevy K1500 with a 5.0/5 speed, to tow a 22' sailboat. It does not have enough torque at a low enough RPM. I even have to downshift from 5th to 3rd going uphill, with no load. Horsepower is lacking also. I also have a 1998 Chevy Metro which is capable of faster acceleration than the truck, when both are empty. I added tie down points to the floor of the bed, because GM evidently didn't think anyone would actually try to haul anything with this "truck". I hauled an empty boat trailer weighing 1500# and this truck only got 11mpg on the highway! I would never buy another one like it. I am seriously considering buying back my S10, to haul my boat- it had torque!

First Year
By vintagenick on 09/03/05 19:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab SB

After always driving new trucks (Fords and a Nissan), I tried used - bought this GM. Wow! A truck that is not full of frills, bells, whistles that aren't needed. It is a true truck for the guy who really uses a truck. I haul large items frequently and pull a trailer. I also take it on long distance interstate trips. It is an incredibly solid and reliable truck so far, and has plenty of room for the family. My mechanic swears that with good regular maintenance, I can easily get 250000 miles out of the motor. Bought it with 69000 - it now has 81500. I never thought I'd like a GM, but now I love 'em!

Solid Truck
By Anonymous on 06/21/05 12:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had great luck with the truck. No mechanical or electrical problems. I intend to keep it 18-20 more years and if and when I do have problems, most of the equipment is accessible

My favorite vehicle ever
By Samuel on 05/02/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

My truck is an excellent ride. Plenty of power with the 5.7l V-8, although gas mileage is not very good. I can pull/haul anything with virtually no power lag. It is good in the snow, just make sure you have sand bags and good tires. There is plenty of room on the interior. My truck has always started and run beautifully. She has 97k miles right now, but she still is a beauty! Make sure to care for your paint. Wash, wax, polish, detail, detail, detail. I always get compliments on my truck because I keep her clean. She has her scratches and dings, but she looks brand new parked by herself.