Used 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

1998 2wd long bed 4.3 v6 auto
By crack007

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab C1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB

Purchased this truck to keep miles off my 07 hd and for better mpg. It gets 23 to 25 on the highway at 70. average 16.5 to 18.5 close to home w many trips on the farm has a 95 gallon fuel tank w tool book in the back, loaded with 700 to 1300 lbs of tools and fuel in bed at all times. Has 125000 miles had to have the lock up sensor and the valve body bored out to fix a hard shift problem cost $250 to have fixed. Overall its a pretty good truck decent mpg and the v6 pulls it down the road well w out much shifting back and forth. For a decent work truck i can't complain about this truck, it does what it was purchased for well.

GM's Cost Cutting Revealed
By Fred

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab C1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB

Cheap seats, cheap soft foam compound, you sink in seat. Flasher button is temperamental. Stop clunk noise. Cheap thin chrome front bumper isn't good for anything except show. A/c system would not stay charged. Cheap plastic outer distributor components, when replacing distributor the treads stripped out. Wind noise around door. No drain plug on differential, means you have to take diff cover off to change gear oil.

Favorite Features

Lots of power for 4.3 liter. plenty of room in engine compartment. hold the road good, very stable

Suggested Improvements

Quit using cheap foam compound in seats. use actual real world testing on vehicles prior to implementing on production models. Put a drain plug on differential so oil can be changed easily dummy. Quit using paper thin material for bumpers boneheads.

A great truck
By Jim

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck from my son two and a half years ago. He bought it new in 1997. He never drove it in the winter and it had only 46,000 miles when I got it. This is the sharpest looking truck I have ever owned. It performs great and is very reliable. The 5.0 v-8 has plenty of power to tow my 4200 lb trailer( it has a factory tow package). The gearing is great for highway mileage. I've gotten 24mpg on the highway, although the norm would be more like 16 in town and 21 highway. Like others the only thing I would change about this truck is the placement of the dash cup holder, what were they thinking? I hope to return this truck to my son's son in another 12 years.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Move cup holder to a place that it does't interfer with ac/heat dash outlet

Good Truck
By brian

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab SB

The truck now has over 300,000 miles does not smoke. Drives not much different than new. Very few repairs. I've owned about every kind of truck you can think of. This is absolutly the all around best. I drive 40,000 miles per year. I expect to get over 1/2 milion miles on this one. Good fuel economy. Sharp and dependable. My only complaint is catalytic converter makes a lot of noise. Headlights do not project very well. However, 1 water pump, 1 alternator, 2 batteries, 8 sets of tires, 100 oil changes 3 transmission fluid changes 3 rear end oil changes and many tanks of gas is all that has been put into this truck.

Favorite Features

Dendability really makes this truck. Its bodystyle which is almost two decades old is still sharp. Truck is very comfortable. I also have an '04 Tahoe but I prefer my old p/u.

Suggested Improvements

I did not like the fact that the cup holder is right in front of the heat vent but that has already been corrected. I liked the older style throttle body fuel injection over the "vortec" because of fuel econo. that was last used in '95. but i just don't see them going back to that.

One Solid Truck
By Chris Stevens

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Regular Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I've had my 1998 K1500 Silverado for almost four years now, and the only repair it needed was a new set of U- joints. Well built, the last of the old style before the 99's, so everything was pretty much perfected. Good acceleration and pulling power with the 5.7 liter, and gas milage better than Ford or Dodge.

Favorite Features

Z-71 package(better handling), more comfortable seats, and a better dashboard layout than Ford or Dodge. The sliding rear window(makes windows down driving more pleasant), powerful AC and heat.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they offered a smaller V-8 or V- 6 diesel when they made these. That would have made a great truck perfect.