Used 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Ck-1500-series - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Great to own a truck and Chevy again
By sstevek

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Now that there's room in the driveway I wanted a pickup truck. Mine is actually a '99, but looks like '98 with an engine of that year, a 5.0 V8 with an automatic transmission. Wanted a manual, but they're almost impossible to find with 4WD. I bought it in April 2013 with 156K on it. It runs great - the 5.0 V8 is fine for me. It will mostly be used for dump runs and hauling firewood. I'm used to driving a Subaru so gas consumption seems excessive - not a big deal though. I think the '94(?) to '98 design is one of the best. The truck is a pleasure to drive - there's some kind of charm and appeal to it. I'm surprised how well it handles - it doesn't feel ponderous. Visibility is excellent.

Favorite Features

Comfort, appearance, practicality, visibility. I'm used to bucket seats so the split bench seat felt different, but comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't ride like my son's 2009 Dodge Ram - not a complaint. Overall enjoyable to drive. Bought it with a few known defects which I repaired. The heater A/C blower only ran on high, replaced the resistor circuit. Also replaced a dome light switch. These parts were still in stock at the local GM dealership. The dash vents didn't work. Fixed ny repairing a possible leak in a junction or splice of a vacuum line. A/C may not work, hasn't been warm enough to really test.

Truck with True Grit
By 98silverado

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have a 1998 4x4 5.7 v8 extended cab despite the options given on the top of the page. It's got 68k on it, and I really do beat it up. Its been from Northern Illinois to Alabama where I go to school and the ride is that of a new tahoe. I've only had to replace one of the two cat converters, and a fan belt. Its candy apple red, and man, its a great looking truck. I take it on the dirt roads in South Dakota and it just never fails.

Favorite Features

The 350 vortec is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

not a fan a push button transfer case. get a little wind noise but fixed it with all weather tape.

Still Truckin'!
By v_nick

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I can't kill it! It runs and runs and runs! And it still looks great. I haven't had a significant repair in several years. In my last review (2006), I was happy, but more so now. 130,000 miles on the odometer, which would be significantly more had I not had other vehicles I drive to work. Friends compliment me on its appearance, and I have had offers to buy it. Bullet Proof Reliability is the slogan that belongs to this truck!

Favorite Features

Acceleration Ride quality Load capacity Looks

1998 Chevy Ext. Cab 3rd door SWB Z-71
By Tom

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like this truck a whole lot, the 5.7 liter Vortec engine gives plenty of power, the 4L60E Automatic transmission works flawlessly, mine has the push button selector for the 4x4...I'm not to fond of that, but it does work okay. My truck has leather interior, which I like;)Ice cold A/C, good heater, the truck handles like a performance sedan, and handles the heave loads and towing like a real truck should. What more can I say? It is a good truck! Very dependable, I would recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

Power windows, cruse, tilt, A/C, ABS, Z-71 package is nice, 5.7 Vortec is awesome, All good stuff!

Suggested Improvements

Better drink holders would be nice.

Still Ticking
By PatrickinLubbock

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Second owner of this truck when I bought it in 1999. At 265000 miles, it is incredibly reliable. Recent snowstorms required me to pull much newer 2wds out of snowbanks and a couple of Tahoes. I expect to get 300K miles out of the V-6 and will get a new VORTEC at that time. Original tranny, electrics, 4wd, transfer case, and air conditioning. Major parts changed are clutch, fuel pump, and water pump. Normal maintenance otherwise; unbelievable. Getting ready to recover driver's seat and tow my boat this summer. GREAT Truck!!

Favorite Features

Reliability, easy to work on, availability of parts. V-6 with manual tranny is a workhorse. 4wd is great.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for this model.