1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Great to own a truck and Chevy again
By sstevek on 04/14/13 18:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Now that there's room in the driveway I wanted a pickup truck. Mine is actually a '99, but looks like '98 with an engine of that year, a 5.0 V8 with an automatic transmission. Wanted a manual, but they're almost impossible to find with 4WD. I bought it in April 2013 with 156K on it. It runs great - the 5.0 V8 is fine for me. It will mostly be used for dump runs and hauling firewood. I'm used to driving a Subaru so gas consumption seems excessive - not a big deal though. I think the '94(?) to '98 design is one of the best. The truck is a pleasure to drive - there's some kind of charm and appeal to it. I'm surprised how well it handles - it doesn't feel ponderous. Visibility is excellent.

Truck with True Grit
By 98silverado on 01/07/13 22:29 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have a 1998 4x4 5.7 v8 extended cab despite the options given on the top of the page. It's got 68k on it, and I really do beat it up. Its been from Northern Illinois to Alabama where I go to school and the ride is that of a new tahoe. I've only had to replace one of the two cat converters, and a fan belt. Its candy apple red, and man, its a great looking truck. I take it on the dirt roads in South Dakota and it just never fails.

Still Truckin'!
By v_nick on 01/03/12 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I can't kill it! It runs and runs and runs! And it still looks great. I haven't had a significant repair in several years. In my last review (2006), I was happy, but more so now. 130,000 miles on the odometer, which would be significantly more had I not had other vehicles I drive to work. Friends compliment me on its appearance, and I have had offers to buy it. Bullet Proof Reliability is the slogan that belongs to this truck!

1998 2wd long bed 4.3 v6 auto
By crack007 on 06/28/11 23:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB

Purchased this truck to keep miles off my 07 hd and for better mpg. It gets 23 to 25 on the highway at 70. average 16.5 to 18.5 close to home w many trips on the farm has a 95 gallon fuel tank w tool book in the back, loaded with 700 to 1300 lbs of tools and fuel in bed at all times. Has 125000 miles had to have the lock up sensor and the valve body bored out to fix a hard shift problem cost $250 to have fixed. Overall its a pretty good truck decent mpg and the v6 pulls it down the road well w out much shifting back and forth. For a decent work truck i can't complain about this truck, it does what it was purchased for well.

1998 Chevy Ext. Cab 3rd door SWB Z-71
By Tom on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like this truck a whole lot, the 5.7 liter Vortec engine gives plenty of power, the 4L60E Automatic transmission works flawlessly, mine has the push button selector for the 4x4...I'm not to fond of that, but it does work okay. My truck has leather interior, which I like;)Ice cold A/C, good heater, the truck handles like a performance sedan, and handles the heave loads and towing like a real truck should. What more can I say? It is a good truck! Very dependable, I would recommend it to anyone!

GM's Cost Cutting Revealed
By Fred on 04/14/10 19:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB

Cheap seats, cheap soft foam compound, you sink in seat. Flasher button is temperamental. Stop clunk noise. Cheap thin chrome front bumper isn't good for anything except show. A/c system would not stay charged. Cheap plastic outer distributor components, when replacing distributor the treads stripped out. Wind noise around door. No drain plug on differential, means you have to take diff cover off to change gear oil.

Still Ticking
By PatrickinLubbock on 03/01/10 22:38 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Second owner of this truck when I bought it in 1999. At 265000 miles, it is incredibly reliable. Recent snowstorms required me to pull much newer 2wds out of snowbanks and a couple of Tahoes. I expect to get 300K miles out of the V-6 and will get a new VORTEC at that time. Original tranny, electrics, 4wd, transfer case, and air conditioning. Major parts changed are clutch, fuel pump, and water pump. Normal maintenance otherwise; unbelievable. Getting ready to recover driver's seat and tow my boat this summer. GREAT Truck!!

Luv this truck
By JimInDenton on 01/09/10 14:03 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab LB

Had a few nuisance reliability problems early on (water pump, alternator, radio), but once I had these components replaced with quality replacements I have had few problems. No major repair bills other than the fuel pump (which was probably due to my neglect in changing the fuel filter according the repair shop. Currently the truck has over 200,000 miles and shows no sign of letting up.

The reason I'm sticking to Chevy
By Tony Lowe on 06/19/09 05:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck is amazing, The only major maintenance that has been done in the 190000 miles it has on it are a replaced transmission due to hot rodding the truck with a superchips tuner and two power steering pumps. The guy who owned it before took pretty good care of it except when he got the superchips tuner and decided to hot rod. I bought it with about 20,000 on the new trany and it;s been a great vehicle for me. I did hot rod it a little bit with the tuner when I first got it. The truck performs as good at 120 as it does at 80. Never had an engine problems and plan on driving it until it dies the n replacing the engine and driving it more.

210000 and still going STRONG
By JLB on 04/17/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have had this truck for almost 10 years and afraid soon I will have to get another. I am hoping to go to 250,000 before that happens. Purchased it with 65,000 and never had any transmission problems with every other year trans flushes. I work out of this truck and it is put to the Test daily. The Fuel Pump has went out around 100,000 miles this is common. cost $600.00 replaced water pump about same time but that is it nothing else. 10 years and only $800 in repairs. If Chevy made truck like this still they would not be in trouble today.