Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Like a Rock with a Cadilac Ride
By Walker

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Had this truck for 6 years. Nothing major at all. Replaced water pump @ 75000. Changed filters regularly and (Mobil) oil every 2500 miles. I am a firm believer in preventive maintainence. I don't abuse the truck, but I don't drive it like a little old lady either. I've had 7 Chevy used trucks in my life. I refuse to by new. Get the bugs worked out first. If this truck ever turns on me, I'll never buy a Ford or Dodge. Chevys obviously the truck for me!

Favorite Features

The ride is awesome. The body style is second to none. The interior is layed out nicely. I have no wind noise or rattles as of yet. Solid Truck!!

Suggested Improvements

I really can't think of any. It's hard to improve on quality.

Long Lasting
By Russ Woods

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck now has 170,000 miles (2005) and still going strong. The only major issue I have with my truck is that I have had to replace the alternator 3 times since 82,000 miles in 2000 when I bought the truck. A good tune up, and new shocks and I'll be on the way to another 100,000 miles. I would drive it across the continent, provided that I carry an extra alternator for security.

Favorite Features

The truck is comfortable. I like the power of the 5.7 litre engine. Tows well too. With 4,000 lbs or less, I can't feel any strain on the engine. I like it better than than the newer Chevy trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Check the electrical system. I shouldn't have to replace the alternator 3 times in 3 years. Also, the brakes have always been a little spongy, but have functioned well.

Like a Rock
By Sharky

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been amazing. 140,000 brutal miles, and only two repairs. A high pressure line on the transmission burst at 62,000 miles, it cost $110 to fix at the dealer, and the water pump went out at 105,000 miles (another $100). Tomorrow I am replacing the front brake rotors and pads (it still has the factory pads) for $250. This truck has been driven hard and abused for seven years (but maintained well), yet it drives and looks like a year-old truck. I got my money's worth out of this one!

Favorite Features

The 5.7 Vortec engine, the leather power bucket seats, the overhead console, the auto-dimming mirror with compass, the CD stereo, the 3rd door, the keyless entry, the ride, the power, the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This is my second C1500 extended-cab Silverado, both have had annoying differential whine at all speeds. More fuel capacity would be nice. The outside door handles feel junky, and the door hinges pop. The 1-2 transmission shift can be abrupt at times, yet the other two shifts are silky smooth.

Trucks
By tjoyce

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Rear end housing went bad after 50,000 miles. Upper intake gasket went out about the same time.

Favorite Features

Premium Cd radio

Suggested Improvements

Gm needs to improve their internal problems with waterpumps/intake gaskets/rear end bearings

be prepared to get stuck on the fw
By Dean 55

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

bought my truck about two months ago. It has only about 60k miles on it. The fuel pump went out last month and the fuel pump system just went out this weekend. Cost me $540. It seems when ever i drive it on the freeway something goes wrong so im kind of scared to go back on again. I love the design and its powerful engine when its working though.

Favorite Features

I like the full consel, most of the trucks have the bench seat. The interior is pretty well design.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radious sucks. Make a switch so you could turn the lights off during the day because they are always on.