Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

The heartbeat of America
By dukes

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've only had my truck for about a year and bought it with 129,000 and it now reads 144,000 and I have already had to put brakes, tires,alternator, intake gaskets and fuel pump in that period of time but other than that my truck runs strong.

The one thing I like most bout my 97 is the hp and the transmission. On the highway I average about 16mpg. But that's with headers, exhaust, and k&n air filter.

Fuel mileage and ride quality.

Awesome Z71
By Tino

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my Z71 truck in July of 2002. At first I was hesitant because the truck already had 150,000 miles on it. But test driving and having my mechanic inspect the truck and the great deal I got, I took it. Aside from the gas mileage I get but what can you expect from the 5.7 workhorse? Four years later and the truck about to hit 200,000 miles happy to say I have not had any major problems with the truck. Everthing is still working and it runs like a champ.

Lucky
By Ron

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

From looking at the other reviews I should consider myself lucky to have only replaced the altenator & battery @ 36k miles,Power Steering pump @46k, Rear Axle @ 54k and the water pump @ 75k. The rotors lasted until the 3rd set of brakes @ 88k.The Uniroyal Tiger Paws tires were junk from day one they pulled like the front end was out of alignment.The problem fixed itself when I had the tires replaced @ 32k. They were not worn out-i just couldn't take them anymore.Windshield Wiper Controller is defective according to NHTSA id# 03V159000 and has the potencial to affect 1,755,876 1997 Chevy trks-BUT NOT mine.I had the same symtoms that caused 1.7M trks 2b recalled-but my trk was not covered.

Smooth ride (once you get the factory installed Uniroyal Tiger Paws off) Plenty of power and good fuel economy (approx. 17mpg) Resell value is great.

Braking is real spongy. It takes a few seconds the brakes to apply during a hard braking situation. Durability of major components needs to be improved. I have never had a rear axle fail in anything I have ever driven. Chevy should be fair-when they make a defective safey part replace all of them.

Not bad at all
By Z71

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck with only 23,000 miles on it and as of now (2006) I have close to 107,000. For the most part is has been a great truck overall. The Z71 package and the 5.7 make this thing a workhorse. Towing and hauling never have been a problem. Mechanically though, there has been a list of problems including the valve body on transmission, water pump, intake manifold gasket, oil cooler line leaks, broken door handle, idler pulley bearing went, bad brake pedal switch that controls brake lights- 2 switches and the same problem, finally went aftermarket. Overall it is a great roomy powerfull truck, just wish gas mileage was better though!

Roomy cab, third door, 5.7 liter engine

Better brakes. They are too soft. Cup holder placement, and a better location for the oil filter

Not for the long haul!
By sledspeedracer

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been one problem after the other. I have put one engine, 2 transmissions and a long list of other parts over the years into this truck. It is underpowered for my needs. I can say the ride is car like and a better ride than any other truck I have had. I am going to try a Dodge next.

Car like ride. Nice seat.

Engine life and transmission life.