1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Lucky
By Ron on 06/11/06 01:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

From looking at the other reviews I should consider myself lucky to have only replaced the altenator & battery @ 36k miles,Power Steering pump @46k, Rear Axle @ 54k and the water pump @ 75k. The rotors lasted until the 3rd set of brakes @ 88k.The Uniroyal Tiger Paws tires were junk from day one they pulled like the front end was out of alignment.The problem fixed itself when I had the tires replaced @ 32k. They were not worn out-i just couldn't take them anymore.Windshield Wiper Controller is defective according to NHTSA id# 03V159000 and has the potencial to affect 1,755,876 1997 Chevy trks-BUT NOT mine.I had the same symtoms that caused 1.7M trks 2b recalled-but my trk was not covered.

Not bad at all
By Z71 on 03/22/06 11:29 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck with only 23,000 miles on it and as of now (2006) I have close to 107,000. For the most part is has been a great truck overall. The Z71 package and the 5.7 make this thing a workhorse. Towing and hauling never have been a problem. Mechanically though, there has been a list of problems including the valve body on transmission, water pump, intake manifold gasket, oil cooler line leaks, broken door handle, idler pulley bearing went, bad brake pedal switch that controls brake lights- 2 switches and the same problem, finally went aftermarket. Overall it is a great roomy powerfull truck, just wish gas mileage was better though!

Not for the long haul!
By sledspeedracer on 03/21/06 15:44 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been one problem after the other. I have put one engine, 2 transmissions and a long list of other parts over the years into this truck. It is underpowered for my needs. I can say the ride is car like and a better ride than any other truck I have had. I am going to try a Dodge next.

97 CHEVY
By koryharper on 12/27/05 15:06 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good at first, had to change brakes and rotors, fuel pump, and intake manifold in first 1 1/2 yr. After that no problems then had to change tranny shift modulator. But other than that truck runs well with scheduled maintenance.

Great truck
By cavercarl on 05/16/05 19:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great truck! On road, off road, hauling people/gear/building materials, whatever! 80,000 miles and NO PROBLEMS. Have had this vehicle in places where mud is up to the doors and Jeeps got stuck, and got out no problem. Anyone who hates this truck and says they will buy foreign next time is biased against American made vehicles to begin with. Relative has a Ford and has gone through a transmission, 2 sets of brakes, and 4 clutches in 27,000 miles. Friend has a Dodge which is a bit better, but not as good as Chevy. 3 friends with Toyotas all complain of bad handling, lack of power, lack of payload, boatloads of strange noises and frequent expensive repairs.

Like a Rock with a Cadilac Ride
By Walker on 02/23/05 23:53 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Had this truck for 6 years. Nothing major at all. Replaced water pump @ 75000. Changed filters regularly and (Mobil) oil every 2500 miles. I am a firm believer in preventive maintainence. I don't abuse the truck, but I don't drive it like a little old lady either. I've had 7 Chevy used trucks in my life. I refuse to by new. Get the bugs worked out first. If this truck ever turns on me, I'll never buy a Ford or Dodge. Chevys obviously the truck for me!

Long Lasting
By Russ Woods on 02/08/05 20:20 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck now has 170,000 miles (2005) and still going strong. The only major issue I have with my truck is that I have had to replace the alternator 3 times since 82,000 miles in 2000 when I bought the truck. A good tune up, and new shocks and I'll be on the way to another 100,000 miles. I would drive it across the continent, provided that I carry an extra alternator for security.

Like a Rock
By Sharky on 12/03/04 02:33 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been amazing. 140,000 brutal miles, and only two repairs. A high pressure line on the transmission burst at 62,000 miles, it cost $110 to fix at the dealer, and the water pump went out at 105,000 miles (another $100). Tomorrow I am replacing the front brake rotors and pads (it still has the factory pads) for $250. This truck has been driven hard and abused for seven years (but maintained well), yet it drives and looks like a year-old truck. I got my money's worth out of this one!

Trucks
By tjoyce on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Rear end housing went bad after 50,000 miles. Upper intake gasket went out about the same time.

be prepared to get stuck on the fw
By Dean 55 on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

bought my truck about two months ago. It has only about 60k miles on it. The fuel pump went out last month and the fuel pump system just went out this weekend. Cost me $540. It seems when ever i drive it on the freeway something goes wrong so im kind of scared to go back on again. I love the design and its powerful engine when its working though.