Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Silverado Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Not many miles but tons of parts
By Johnny Driver

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found this truck with 84k on it.Looked good,ran good.It now has 94k. Replaced radiator, original shocks, original brake rotors and pads, front wheel bearings, intake mailfold gasket, rear differental seal, hoses, belt, idler arms, starter, fuel pump, original plugs and wires, cap and rotor, a/c compressor. Replaced all this as each item went out or was worn out. One thing still very good is the paint.T ruck was made in Canada and the paint seems better. Have friends with USA made trucks and the paint was big issue. I keep the oil changed at 2,000 miles. Not sure about past service of the truck. Next time I buy a used car or truck it will be with all records or I am walking away.

It has not broken down in a few months. Inside has lots of room. Solid ride but smooth. Cab still air tight. Third door. Like the power of the 5.7

Well to old of a truck to worry about that now. Just hope Chevy did improve over the years. Won't buy another GM truck ever.

The heartbeat of America
By dukes

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've only had my truck for about a year and bought it with 129,000 and it now reads 144,000 and I have already had to put brakes, tires,alternator, intake gaskets and fuel pump in that period of time but other than that my truck runs strong.

The one thing I like most bout my 97 is the hp and the transmission. On the highway I average about 16mpg. But that's with headers, exhaust, and k&n air filter.

Fuel mileage and ride quality.

97 CHEVY
By koryharper

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good at first, had to change brakes and rotors, fuel pump, and intake manifold in first 1 1/2 yr. After that no problems then had to change tranny shift modulator. But other than that truck runs well with scheduled maintenance.

Seats are really comfortable and interior lights everywhere

Long Lasting
By Russ Woods

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck now has 170,000 miles (2005) and still going strong. The only major issue I have with my truck is that I have had to replace the alternator 3 times since 82,000 miles in 2000 when I bought the truck. A good tune up, and new shocks and I'll be on the way to another 100,000 miles. I would drive it across the continent, provided that I carry an extra alternator for security.

The truck is comfortable. I like the power of the 5.7 litre engine. Tows well too. With 4,000 lbs or less, I can't feel any strain on the engine. I like it better than than the newer Chevy trucks.

Check the electrical system. I shouldn't have to replace the alternator 3 times in 3 years. Also, the brakes have always been a little spongy, but have functioned well.

Like a Rock
By Sharky

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been amazing. 140,000 brutal miles, and only two repairs. A high pressure line on the transmission burst at 62,000 miles, it cost $110 to fix at the dealer, and the water pump went out at 105,000 miles (another $100). Tomorrow I am replacing the front brake rotors and pads (it still has the factory pads) for $250. This truck has been driven hard and abused for seven years (but maintained well), yet it drives and looks like a year-old truck. I got my money's worth out of this one!

The 5.7 Vortec engine, the leather power bucket seats, the overhead console, the auto-dimming mirror with compass, the CD stereo, the 3rd door, the keyless entry, the ride, the power, the reliability.

This is my second C1500 extended-cab Silverado, both have had annoying differential whine at all speeds. More fuel capacity would be nice. The outside door handles feel junky, and the door hinges pop. The 1-2 transmission shift can be abrupt at times, yet the other two shifts are silky smooth.