1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Not many miles but tons of parts
By Johnny Driver on 06/12/08 21:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Found this truck with 84k on it.Looked good,ran good.It now has 94k. Replaced radiator, original shocks, original brake rotors and pads, front wheel bearings, intake mailfold gasket, rear differental seal, hoses, belt, idler arms, starter, fuel pump, original plugs and wires, cap and rotor, a/c compressor. Replaced all this as each item went out or was worn out. One thing still very good is the paint.T ruck was made in Canada and the paint seems better. Have friends with USA made trucks and the paint was big issue. I keep the oil changed at 2,000 miles. Not sure about past service of the truck. Next time I buy a used car or truck it will be with all records or I am walking away.

The heartbeat of America
By dukes on 12/11/07 15:38 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've only had my truck for about a year and bought it with 129,000 and it now reads 144,000 and I have already had to put brakes, tires,alternator, intake gaskets and fuel pump in that period of time but other than that my truck runs strong.

97 CHEVY
By koryharper on 12/27/05 15:06 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good at first, had to change brakes and rotors, fuel pump, and intake manifold in first 1 1/2 yr. After that no problems then had to change tranny shift modulator. But other than that truck runs well with scheduled maintenance.

Long Lasting
By Russ Woods on 02/08/05 20:20 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

My truck now has 170,000 miles (2005) and still going strong. The only major issue I have with my truck is that I have had to replace the alternator 3 times since 82,000 miles in 2000 when I bought the truck. A good tune up, and new shocks and I'll be on the way to another 100,000 miles. I would drive it across the continent, provided that I carry an extra alternator for security.

Like a Rock
By Sharky on 12/03/04 02:33 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been amazing. 140,000 brutal miles, and only two repairs. A high pressure line on the transmission burst at 62,000 miles, it cost $110 to fix at the dealer, and the water pump went out at 105,000 miles (another $100). Tomorrow I am replacing the front brake rotors and pads (it still has the factory pads) for $250. This truck has been driven hard and abused for seven years (but maintained well), yet it drives and looks like a year-old truck. I got my money's worth out of this one!

be prepared to get stuck on the fw
By Dean 55 on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

bought my truck about two months ago. It has only about 60k miles on it. The fuel pump went out last month and the fuel pump system just went out this weekend. Cost me $540. It seems when ever i drive it on the freeway something goes wrong so im kind of scared to go back on again. I love the design and its powerful engine when its working though.

Silverado
By Matthew M. Dina on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Simply the best riding truck and dependable as they get!!!

97 C150 EXTCAB
By ATIMMS on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

HAVE HAD FUN DRIVINGTRUCK. BOUGHT USED AT 3YRS (37000 MI). HAS 100000 MI ON IT NOW AND KEEPS RUNNING. HAVE HAD TO REPLACE INTAKE MANIFOLD, WATER PUMP, STARTER, AND MAJOR BRAKE WORK IN FIRST TWO YEARS I OWNED IT. NO MAJOR BRAKE PROBLEMS IN LAST 1-1 1/2YEARS. BEAUTIFUL SILVER COLOR!!

Like a Rock- Chevrolet C/K 1500 is solid
By z2im on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

In searching for a used truck, I test drove the Ford F150, Dodge RAM, Dodge Dakota, Chevrolet C/K 1500 and Toyota Tundra. I bought a 1997 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab SB because of the sturdy design, powertrain, body style and the price. The 1500 is a rugged workhorse that can carry cargo and tow, yet provides spacious and comfortable ride for driver and passengers. The 5.7l engine is quiet, reliable and powerful. The automatic transmission is smooth. The 4 wheel drive gets me through challenging terrain (with weight in the bed). At 7 years and 70k+ miles, the vehicle has required only regular maintenance and replacement of wear items(tires, brakes)

chevy truck review
By alcedo on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Extended Cab C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have enjoyed driving this truck but have a number of items fail due to poor quality. The differential had a bearing go out at 77k and again at 154k, notice a pattern, housing not straight. Mechanic said this was common for that year and he was doing about 2 a week on this truck. Replaced at 50 to 60k the master brake assembly, water pump, fuel pump, alternator, and I have electric problems. Just very poor quality control on these trucks. Gas mileage as expected, body by fisher alright as expected.