1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
By Toan Gonzalez on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Needs fixed constantly. I bought the vehicle new in 1996 and it has cost me thousands in repair costs. Whenever I get in it, I wonder if it will get me to my destination. It is the last General Motors product that I will ever own.

Never again!
By Y Chevy on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Intake gasket blew at 75000, my friend has the same truck and his went at 50000. Transfer case went at 85000, this truck has cured me from chevys...I just hope I can find some sucker to unload this on.....Chevrolet U suck!

Excellent Work Truck
By jbdzyne on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Here's a review from some serious experience - over 200,000 hard miles! This truck carries a tradesman cap and a full load of tools/supplies every day. And it hauls my kids to soccer practice, too! Though it's a little rough around the edges after seven years, this Chevy stills feels solid over the hard bumps, and still offers my tired butt a nice comfortable seat. When this one dies, I will go out and buy another one, with far fewer miles on it, of course! This truck will take whatever you subject it to, with some pretty ordinary maintenance along the way (much of the original equipment remains intact). I guess it really is "like a rock"!

Fourth GM Truck Purchase
By matt d. on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just bought my fourth fullsize GM truck today -- a used '96 Silverado X- cab. My previous used purchase was a 1997 GMC Suburban (same vehicle). It had 287,000 miles on it when I traded it in on a 2002 Suburban, and the only repairs I ever made to it was an intake manifold gasket (at 280,000) and an alternator (at 260,000). The received Mobil 1 10W40 its entire life and ran and looked like new when I sold it. I'm sure that vehicle will go for 400,000 miles with no problems. Unbelievable. I look forward to the next 309,000 miles on my "new" '96 model.

K1500 Silverado
By David P. Losh on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Until 115,000 miles the only problem I had with this vehicle is an alternator going bad, and a problem with the push- buttom FWD. Otherwise it has been a great truck. I have had 2010 lbs of sand in the bed of this 1/2 ton (500 lbs)truck, I have towed 17,000 lb city buses up hills from 1/2 way up the hill and from a dead stop, and have frequently towed a 7700 lb boat(23ft.) with it. Bottom line, I cannot complain!

Awesome truck
By Phil K. on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is by far the best truck i've ever owned. I just bought a new 2500HD 4x4 and hope it lives up to the quality, power, and reliability this truck has. I can't say enough about it. Excellent truck.

Awesome
By Chevyguy12 on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I tow snowmobile trailers and other heavy trailers quite a bit in the mountains of Colorado. My 1996 k1500 has been the strongest all around pickup I have ever had/seen. I only have one problem with it, the brakes. I am not happy with the drum-disc brake combo. They heat up pretty easy and wear out fast but other than that with 125,000 miles I have had no problems at all.

Great 96
By truckman96 on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I really wish that Chevrolet would build interiors like my 96; comfortable, spacious, and built to fit 6 in the cab. I have had no problems with my truck; I purchased it new. The only real problem is getting tires to last as long as my Chevy.

No Problems
By Niteowl on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have driven this truck 155,000 miles with only 2 repairs. I tow a 6500 lbs trailer so the rear end and transmission had to be repaired. I've had no other problems. No starters, alternators, water pump problems and most of all neverhave I had any electrical problems if any kind. This has been the most trouble free vechicle I have ever owned.

great
By chad on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab LB