Used 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

I love my truck
By ArmyDad

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 2005. Since then I've replaced the starter, alternator, and water pump. Just recently...last weekend put in a rebuilt engine. I love driving this truck. It now has 163,700 miles on it and going strong.

Favorite Features

It has great looks and lots of power. The back seat is a little tight but I never sit back there.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the fold down console. Sun roof.

1996 Chev C/K 1500, with vortec, 2wd
By Jay Walsh

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Used for commute and ranch work. Occassional horse trailer hauling. Engine very reliable. Only invested $1500 in the in 2007.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Never broke down!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had purchased 3rd door! Tailgate should be redesiged. Latch is unreliable

1996 K1500 Poor Quality
By Duke Six

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought truck new. At 24,600 miles the transmission went out. Out of 36 month warranty time. Called GM to ask about some help on repair cost. They said I should have bought extended warranty. I guess they know what kind of junk they are building. Alternator out at 39,000. Never ever buy another GM product.

Favorite Features

Looked good when I bought it.

Suggested Improvements

Get a Toyota if you want quality.

1996 K1500 a Workhorse and a sedate Lady
By Richard Clapp

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased the truck to be my play thing, my work truck and a family hauler, not in that order.. The 5.7 Vortec engine is great for hauling, power and acceleration, but it rarely skips a gas pump (lead foot). My highway mpg with cruise is in the low 20's (with a T-Cover) The truck is perfect inside and very close on the outside. The only major repair I know of was the 4x4 system overhaul by the previous owner who hauled horses all the time. This is normal for most any 4x4 truck when it is used. It is nice enough to drive to the office and fun enough to haul cubscouts in the local parade. Sound system is excellent. I recomend it for anyone looking for a good all around truck!

Favorite Features

Vortec 5.7 V8 engine. Unstoppable/ unskippable CD player. Beautiful interior on my Silverado. Power seats. Almost instant heat from heater when needed. Cupholders and storage everywhere. Extra power plugs. Storage box in engine compartment (Holds my extra fluids including 2 oils, one transmission, and a rag)

Suggested Improvements

The lumbar support on the power seat is powered by a mini airpump under the seat. It needs to work a little better. A little less cockpit noise would also be good. Better mileage, but hey - it's a truck, and I have a lead foot.. Really very little negative, it is a great truck.

Lil red truck
By Ron Bridges

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Cheyenne 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I recently changed from Ford to Chevy. This isn't the first GM vehicle I've owned, but if this one is indictive of their trucks, I will definitely buy GM again. The 4.3 litre engine has plenty of pep and it doesn't cost $100 a week to drive.

Favorite Features

Drive train, appearance, easy to drive. Fuel economy, parts accessability

Suggested Improvements

None at this time.