1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Great Truck
By ben on 10/10/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have 170,000 miles and still going strong. Powerful Vortech 350 best GM has ever had in my book. Only problems to date are thermostat, u-joint , and one fuel pump but that's no big deal with the amount of miles. Drive it till the wheels fall off, but the way its going i don't know if that will ever happen. GREAT TRUCK!

Great truck
By luvmychevy on 05/08/08 08:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have replaced radiator starter alternator and belts that's pretty much it. Wasn't really a truck guy till I got this at 148000 miles still going strong. These gas prices are hurting but I can't really part with it. I'll keep rolling till the wheels fall off. And I can do some of the work myself as a rookie mechanic. Will be a loyal bowtie fan forever.

I love my truck
By ArmyDad on 05/05/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 2005. Since then I've replaced the starter, alternator, and water pump. Just recently...last weekend put in a rebuilt engine. I love driving this truck. It now has 163,700 miles on it and going strong.

1996 Chev C/K 1500, with vortec, 2wd
By Jay Walsh on 12/31/06 21:57 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Used for commute and ranch work. Occassional horse trailer hauling. Engine very reliable. Only invested $1500 in the in 2007.

1996 Silverado Ext Cab 6 cyl stick
By neveragain on 03/02/05 20:27 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Terrible vehicle. So far replaced manifold gasket, water pump,starter X2, A/C compressor, and clutch because the slave cylinder leaked. I have spent more on parts since purchase than I did over the 22 years I drove the last vehicle. For some strange reason GM did not cover the rails on the bed with the bed-liner - I wonder how much they saved doing that?

Great Truck
By Jeff on 12/02/04 20:27 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new With regular scheduled maintenance this truck has been great. Did first tune up at 100000 miles and was still running great. Truck has been replaced by a 2005 C1500 1/2 ton crew cab, didn't have the heart to trade it in, will find it a good home where it will give another 150000 trouble free miles.

By Toan Gonzalez on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Needs fixed constantly. I bought the vehicle new in 1996 and it has cost me thousands in repair costs. Whenever I get in it, I wonder if it will get me to my destination. It is the last General Motors product that I will ever own.

Excellent Work Truck
By jbdzyne on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Here's a review from some serious experience - over 200,000 hard miles! This truck carries a tradesman cap and a full load of tools/supplies every day. And it hauls my kids to soccer practice, too! Though it's a little rough around the edges after seven years, this Chevy stills feels solid over the hard bumps, and still offers my tired butt a nice comfortable seat. When this one dies, I will go out and buy another one, with far fewer miles on it, of course! This truck will take whatever you subject it to, with some pretty ordinary maintenance along the way (much of the original equipment remains intact). I guess it really is "like a rock"!

Fourth GM Truck Purchase
By matt d. on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I just bought my fourth fullsize GM truck today -- a used '96 Silverado X- cab. My previous used purchase was a 1997 GMC Suburban (same vehicle). It had 287,000 miles on it when I traded it in on a 2002 Suburban, and the only repairs I ever made to it was an intake manifold gasket (at 280,000) and an alternator (at 260,000). The received Mobil 1 10W40 its entire life and ran and looked like new when I sold it. I'm sure that vehicle will go for 400,000 miles with no problems. Unbelievable. I look forward to the next 309,000 miles on my "new" '96 model.

96 chevy p/u 350/4L80E ext cab
By Tony born on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 108000. the engine,trans,diff fluids were all burnt and neglected. Even the radiator was empty.I changed all the fluids tune up and its still going strong at 150000. There were several reasonably priced bolt ons from the part store btween 130 and 140000 miles. Alternator,waterpump,fuel pump,fan clutch,but overall a strong, nice looking driving truck.