1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:
Love this Truck, Am buying a 2nd!
By bootsmcguire on 06/28/11 22:57 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab LB

Mine is a 1990 Silverado, 350 with the 700R4 in the K1500 4x4. Bought it 3 years ago with only 96k miles on it. Only problems have been a bad starter and I need to replace the rear leaf springs as they are shot. However the previous owners towed a camper with it and thats it, so I would say thats the root of the spring issue. I also upgraded the radiator to a 3-core as I felt the single core was just too small and it was not up to the task of towing on 95 degree days. It is comfortable, drives well, pulls well and has been one of my favorites. I am actually going to purchase another 1990 in a C1500 2wd with a 350 and 5spd so I can save the first from junk miles back and forth to work.

Reliable work horse.
By wrbuzz on 05/26/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought new off lot in 1990 in ca, and put heavy annual miles on la freeways. 20 mpg with the 4.3 v6. Moved to nj six years later, it towed everything I owned. Maxed out. Over the Rockies. And no complaints. Since 1996 it's been a home/farm work truck. As a 6,4: guy, this truck is a perfect fit. It's always been a real joy to drive, 5 speed manual, and the vortec v6 is as reliable as I could have wanted. One transmission replaced before the move, but other than that. Little else other than routine maintenance. The jack ratchet recently broke. Hard to find part. This thing is rock solid dependable, and carries well in excess of spec'd load regularly. Hope I didn't jinx it now!

Not your everyday chevy
By trukgrl on 09/13/09 21:35 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I got this truck when I was 17, I found this truck and it was love at first sight! I have the 2wd sb step-side 2wd. It has some mods which include cowl hood, dual strait pipes, roll pan,and racing buckets to name a few. Never had to do anything but routine maintenance. I LOVE THIS TRUCK, I am now a single mother and the truck is no longer my daily driver but I just can't get rid of it. It sits for months at a time now and starts without any problems and runs like a dream. It has about 250k on it. Just a great truck, couldn't have picked anything better. Paid $4,500 in May of 04! Also handles well in bad weather for a 2wd.

Built to good
By chevy man on 05/31/09 09:12 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 1990 silverado 2wd short bed pickup. I paid 3900.00 for it 2 years ago. It had 200,000 miles on it when I bought it. It has the original 350, which has never had any engine work done. I bought this truck to turn it into a hot rod. I am (was) planning on installing a 383 stroker motor, but the original 350 runs so good, it just wont die. I beat the hell out of this truck! It has the 5 speed manual tranny, so I do massive burnouts on a regular basis, and 2 years later, it still runs just as good. These trucks were built rock solid, and made to last. I have not done anything to it except change the oil, and rotate my tires. I would drive it anywhere without worrying about it breaking down. I love it!

C1500 Reg. cab LB
By Lewis610 on 04/29/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought it new. It was my first vehicle. It now has 300000 miles and he uses it as his work truck for his natural gas business. I have since purchased a 1989 C2500, which has been just as reliable. My only complaint is the fuel consumption. It got around 12 mpg normally around town.

My bad luck
By banditxkr on 04/10/09 22:54 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab SB

Reading these other reviews, I feel as though I got a dud. This truck has been nothing but problems. I've had it for ten years now and so far I've had to rebuild the clutch, replace the rear end, replace the fuel tank, and much more trivial stuff. This truck has left me sitting on the side of the road at least 3 times so far. Everything electrical in this truck from the radio to the speedometer has been on the fritz for the last 5 years. It only has 138000 miles on it and its junk. The fuel economy sucks for a 6 cylinder and the power is non-existent. It's also rusted out. This engine is too small for this size of a truck. Maybe this is just my bad luck though

Where it counts, Chevy does right.
By Strategizer on 10/17/07 04:27 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab LB

Where it counts, as in staying on the road, this truck is hard to beat. Over 17.5 years, all not garaged, this vehicle has maintained an impeccable driving record. That said, the plastic pieces of the truck are extremely poor, as well as the overall interior design. The fuse door fell off one day without any prompting. A tab was mysteriously found to have broken off. The glove box is awkward (tall but no depth). The seat belt made its way under the speaker cover and ripped it off (poor placement). The vinyl quality was cheap and cracked quickly in comparison to the replacement vinyl I got privately. Again, the engine will keep you on the road, but don't expect much from the interior.

Best truck I've ever owned
By chevdags on 02/07/07 15:50 PM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 Silverado 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My family bought this truck in the year 2000. The truck was beautiful, inside and out. We bought it with aproximatly 150,000 miles on it. The truck became a daily driver for us. We were putting on about 1500 miles a month or more. Our 90' Silverado, pulled countless cars, boats, trailers, and campers. Ii don't know how many times we had the box almost touching the rear wheels, because of so much weight in the back. It never let us down. No matter what kind of hell we put it through, it just kept chugging along. The GM motor company did a fantastic job with this truck!

1990 Chevy Silverado hotrod
By Mayberry on 09/13/06 02:29 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Silverado 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1990 half ton SB (99,000 original miles) with a rebuilt factory 350 (mild cam) and 3.73 gearing. I installed a power chip with 160 thermostat and also installed a K & N filter charger along with flowmaster exhaust plus a Corvette fluid servo in the tranny for lightning fast shifts and WOW! I've got a little hot rod on my hands! I must have hit the right combo cause this truck really screams now. Traction is a problem sometimes even with 29 X 12.50 street Hoosiers. Its always nice to pull up next to a new Mustang GT at the lights or one of those Hemi Dodges and proceed to let them examine my tailgate at a rapid rate. I have sunk 10 times more money in a truck before without this result

OK.. for truck being 16 yrs old!
By gojo on 08/14/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 Scottsdale 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my copper brown Chevy Scottsdale about a year and a half ago. I think that GM put faulty trannys in 1989-92's because everyone I know with those years, including myself, have had to replace the transmisions. I have put a ton of money into this truck. It probably ran good when it was newer, but it was a bad investment for me, too much cost in new parts, and with gas prices, the V-8 isnt helping.