fuel gauge
By your-buddie on
2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
I see I am not the only one with fuel gauge problems. I guess I will continue to guess the amount of fuel in the tank as many (too many) others have done. Sorry about our luck on this one! The car has been very reliable till now, right after the warranty expires. This sounds like a very common error on Chevrolets The gas gauge just goes wild and finally comes to rest on the temp gauge.From what I read the gas tank has to come out and a new sensor installed and while the tank is out you might as well put a new fuel pump in too. Not going to happen!Maybe once the fuel pump quits it will really become an issue for me. I am sure other people who read these don't bother to enter a comment
Favorite Features
great gas mileage
Suggested Improvements
recall on problems such as one mentioned above.
By md2011
on 06/03/11 11:03 AM (PDT)

I had a similar problem in my 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Right after we purchased the car the temperature gauge frequently went into the red zone with no physical signs of overheating. Eventually the gauge went crazy and would jam the speedometer and so forth. I got to the point where I took the dash apart and installed another gauge cluster bought on ebay for $40 better than the over $250 expect to pay from GM. Never had that problem again. I would recommend changing the gauge cluster since i have seen that cluster defective in many of these cars. FYI my fuel pump failed at about 60k miles on it very frustrating so yeah something else to watch for.

By _only
on 04/08/14 11:30 AM (PDT)

The reason the gauge went bad is because of the stepper motors (the tiny things that power each gauge) that Chevy put in all of their model/makes in 2005 were faulty parts. These are what need to be replaced. My step dad helped me replace these in the instrument cluster (the parts are cheap little things). It's not the gas tank sensor. Your speedometer and tachometer will eventually bo bad, too, and it's their stepper motors. The fuel pump of mine also had to be replaced at around 125k miles. All else has been golden, though the struts have needed replacing for awhile now.