Used 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Good car for the money
By hotboy71

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased an 2005 Cavalier Coupe 9 months ago. So far, I don't think I have ever driven a 4 cyl car with as much pep and yet still sips gas like this car. Although the cars fit and finish are antiquated, at best, I feel I could have done a lot worse. A buddy of mine just bought an 05 Nissan Sentra SE-R and I would take my Cavalier in a minute over that. You think the materials used on the Cavalier are cheap? Try the Nissan and see what you get! Everything's made of hard, thin plastic. My view of the Cavalier, good car for the money.

Peppy engine, which is great on gas.

More head room

My value package, soon LS sport coupe!
By raw cavalier

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier about a year ago now and I must say it is very fun to drive and it gets great gas mileage! I have had several problems with the a/c and the check engine light but now that the car is back to being new, well almost anyway, it is great to have. I am planning on adding little performance mods and accessories to make the Cavalier even more stylish than it all ready is. Good car overall and hopefully is will very reliable in the future! Good luck with yours if you get one!

The five speed manual transmission is rather fast, and the gas mileage is excellent!

I believe the styling of the rear tail lights was more impressive on the older Cavaliers, around 95-02. The tail lights on the newer Cavaliers is rather big for the car and doesn't really seem to serve any purpose!

Let's be honest...
By doug

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

...if it weren't for the fantastic rebate, I would not have bought this car. I preferred a Corolla and almost bought a Focus ZX3. But, then the rebates came out. I did some checking and spoke with some co-workers: it got good consumer reviews and owners gave this car praise. It is uncomfortable and difficult to get in and out of. The back seats is only for smaller people. There's very good trunk space considering its size- better than a Pontiac G6! It's fun to drive and has good power and is stable on the highway at high speeds. Minor engine chip problem but dealer was very responsive.

The rebates- I saved over $6K over MSRP. Had it not been $11k (LS with some added features), I would not have bought it. I should have saved another $1500 and gotten the base model, but the radio and sporty upgrades make it more comfy. Good LS features and upgrades. A good value.

It's already replaced by the Cobalt. I might have held out for the somewhat nicer Cobalt, but at the savings, the Cavalier is well worth the value. Get the manual- it's tight and shifts nice. Reroute seat belt- strap rubs my neck.

Big bang for your hard earned buck
By SEarly

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an efficient commuter car that was good on gas since I drive 64 miles round trip. Cheap to run, so I would not feel guilty about racking up excessive mileage. I have to say that I have been very pleased with this vehicle, especially when I factor in the extras and what I paid for it. I got my car out the door for around $11K w/taxes and fees. Decent performing with very low maintenance cost. I have been very satisfied with the engine and transmission's performance compared to the Honda Civic & Ford Focus with slightly smaller engine C.U.'s

Have the driver's seats with additional adjustment feature where they can be lowered.

Our Little Puddle Jumper
By sid johnson

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? We have owned the car since February 2005, purchased new. The reason for purchase was the price of gasoline and a long drive to work. We are getting 32 mpg without A/C and 29 with A/C. The power of the 2.2 Ecotec is incredible. If you need to go, you can go! The stereo is awesome. I really like the fold down rear seats for storage during transportation. Handling is really tight, a very fun car to drive. When doing oil changes, there is no mess with the filter being on top of the engine. Itís kind of nice not having oil running down your forearm for a change. Chevrolet is really pushing the Cobalts, so if you want a good deal, they are darn near giving away Cavaliers.

2.2 Ecotec power, 32MPG, stereo, handling, price! After you tint the windows, it's pretty sharp too!

It's kind of noisy.