Used 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
falling apart shortly after I bought it and continue to
By jazzy1998

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 2005 Chevy Cavalier sedan in fall 2005. Problems started with the driver's seat handle breaking off then the seat would flop back while driving. Chevy's customer service suggested replacing the whole seat. The catalic converter died (was under warranty) an ion sensor went bad. The seats are uncomfortable you can feel anyone's foot movement near the seat .The dash rattles. The glove compartment handle broke, driver's visor flops, had to replace driver's power window motor and switch this year. Now it wont start not sure what's wrong now. All this on a 5 year old car. Piece of junk.

Favorite Features

trunk size and radio

Suggested Improvements

interior is too cheap,better seat handles, thicker seats, better glove compartment handle. Better warranty

fuel gauge
By your-buddie

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I see I am not the only one with fuel gauge problems. I guess I will continue to guess the amount of fuel in the tank as many (too many) others have done. Sorry about our luck on this one! The car has been very reliable till now, right after the warranty expires. This sounds like a very common error on Chevrolets The gas gauge just goes wild and finally comes to rest on the temp gauge.From what I read the gas tank has to come out and a new sensor installed and while the tank is out you might as well put a new fuel pump in too. Not going to happen!Maybe once the fuel pump quits it will really become an issue for me. I am sure other people who read these don't bother to enter a comment

Favorite Features

great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

recall on problems such as one mentioned above.

Not too Happy
By CavalierCutie0001

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was really excited to get my Cavalier, i thought it was really small and cute. When I test drove it I loved how smooth it drove and my Cavalier was very comfortable! But after only having it for about 8 months, I've spent a lot of money fixing it! The check engine light has come on several times in the past month! My car has been in the shop already twice this month. And I have been maintaining it very well. Hmm. Despite its problems, the Cavalier drives nicely and actually accelerates pretty fast!

Favorite Features

The little spoiler on my Cavalier. The seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine quality.

Chevy Cavalier. Good Ride!
By Donnie

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Again I bought a Chevy. And I'm glad. This seems to be a good little car. Just got it 3 weeks ago for about $7800. It only had 41,600 miles on it. Runs like a champ except a rattle at startup which seems to be just until oil reaches the top of the motor, about 1-2 seconds. It has plenty of power. 140 horses to be exact. Has good cold air, good radio and CD, cruise, auto trans, and nice interior. I know it's outdated but it was such a popular car so they did not need to redesign fast. My first Cavalier and so far I'm happy.

Favorite Features

Cruise, Auto, air, Stereo CD, delay wipers, nice seats, Stainless exhaust, good gas economy, quiet but powerful motor, remote electric trunk opener, cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Cavalier back. Sold at such a good price. GM needs some lower priced cars for people like me.

2005 Cavalier - Excellent Value!
By Tim C

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's my third Cavalier. Great value for the $...especially after 4.5k rebate. Never let me down...just gas & regular maint., brake job every 50k, tires at 80k, first tuneup at 100k. 4 cylinder engine has plenty of pickup. Averaging 28 mpg for combination city-highway driving, and have gotten 34+ mpg highway...while avg 70 mph. Excellent traction in snow and wet roads. Handling is firm and predictable, but is a bit soft on tight turns at speed. Interior is comfortable + has LARGE amount of hauling space with the fold- down split rear seat.

Favorite Features

Great sounding stock radio/CD player, with excellent EQ and pan controls. Variable speed wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Base sedan no longer has ABS or tilt- steering as standard. Too bad, previous years did. But still great value for the $!