2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Boring, But Very Reliable
By _only on 04/08/14 11:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

(not a manual, BTW) I've had my 2005 Cavalier for almost 10 years and 130k miles now. I bought it used from the dealer with 30k miles in 2006, and it's been extremely reliable and dependable ever since. Besides normal obligatory replacement parts like tires and brake pads, the only things I've had to fix/replace were the instrument cluster gauges at 110k miles, and the fuel pump at 125k or so. My struts also are very weak now at over 130k miles and need replacing. Long story short, this car shouldn't give you any issues well over 100k miles, even if you have been bad at oil change maintenance, etc. The engine will be the last of your issues with this car, which is the most important note.

the car is a Beast
By beebopboo on 10/04/11 15:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i couldnt have asked for a better first car, the cavelier gets a crappy rap but its really a decent, reliable car. mine has just gotten over the 100,000 mile mark and it hasent given me any problems. just like any car if you treat it right and take good care of it youll get the maximum preformance. so all you people who talk down on the cavelier, maybe its not the car at all maybe its just the way you run it..

Clutch Problems
By rmoxham on 06/02/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to warn owners of a problem with the hydraulic clutch in the 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The line from master cylinder to slave cylinder may be rubbing on the farm and is wearing through and one day you will step on the pedal and it will go right to the floor and stick there, leaving the engine engaged to the transmission. I talked with General Motors and they more or less just laughed at me. Too bad they say you are off warranty.. only in time not mileage (63, 000 KM). Hopefully no inexperienced driver has this happen to them or there could well be a serious accident even leading to death. GM doesn't want to hear about it.

I hated this car
By laurastett111 on 04/14/11 17:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30k miles and within the first few months, I had to take it to the shop. Interior is cheap, and wears very easily. with in a two years of having it, the seats started to wear through. I have had to replace the power windows engines twice, and know at 100k miles, it is starting to make noises. My fincee is 5'9 and he can barely fit in the car. hard to hold more than two people.

6 years old and had to junk it already. Many electrical issue. Waste of money.
By rockstartravis on 01/07/11 20:01 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this with only 11,000 miles on it. Had it for about 3 years. Piece of crap and waste of money. Internally is sucks. Horrible electrical issues with interior lights, seat broke and had to hold it up with a old milk can. Seat belt strap holder attached to neck of headrest busted like a cheap piece of plastic. Had blinker issue where one blinker worked and the other did not. Timing chain snapped and ruined engine valves before GM recommended tune up or check. Horrible reliability. Good vehicle for a teenager to beat up. Thats about it.

Best car ever owned
By Love my Cavy on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my manual 2005 LS cavalier in 2006 with only 10k miles on it. I now have almost 96k on it and its still running great! I love this car. Over the 4 years that i have owned my car, i have only had 1 major problem and that is the clutch cable went out 2 times. Other than that, this is the most reliable vehicle that i have owned. Nothing wrong with the engine after all of the long trips and miles this car has went through. No complaints here. The cavalier is still mechanically wonderful, easy on gas with avg of 32mpg for me, reasonably comfortable, the AC/Heat are great,keyless entry, sunroof, and great factory sound system! I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.

Great little car
By Nan on 02/18/10 09:35 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this due to divorce and great choice. Gas mileage is terrific especially when gas was over $3/gal, so little spent on that. Normal wear. Just oil changes and new tires and brake pads in year 5. Easy to park in those tight places. No one wants to steal it cuz its plain-I like that!

disapointed cavalier owner
By Not a happy Cavie Ow on 08/13/09 17:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would steer any one away from buying a chevy cavalier. The dash rattles,the design of the car is made very poorly.We had to replace the starter,fuel pump,something wrong with the computer system. We are unsatisfied customers. We wanted to get a small car for our daughter, but the car has just been a burden. I wish the dealer could have warned us about it's poor ratings!

It's orange
By John on 06/01/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I've had so far is the the wheel speed sensor went bad, around $100 to fix. The car is quick for a 4 cyl, it has some cool features such as XM radio, and is fun to drive. The only thing I don't like is the color, which is orange, my own fault.

Decent car
By hickery88 on 05/03/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

As a mechanic myself, I find that is great car small, and maneuverable. For the size it is quite roomy. For the exterior there are not many modifications other then ground effects, as for the engine, limitless like any other Chevy model. As for build quality is ok for the price, but any do it your selfer can easily fix. A quite and smooth ride with great gas mileage. I drove mine home when I went on leave from Virginia to Texas a 22 hour drive under $100. The only trouble I had was my windshield wiper broke during heavy rain. And the headlights were not very bright.