Used 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great little car
By Kristen

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second owner of car. Bought in 2011 with 60k miles. I now have 167k. All guages were broke(VERY common and they never recalled it). Don't spend the $500 for the new assembly it will just break again. Buy individual motors on Amazon ($25 for 6) and sodder them on, and set guages. They've been working perfectly since. Due to those being broken I had to replace the fuel pump. Normal wear and tear: tires, battery, brakes. Regular oil changes. The drivers seat has broken. No longer stays up. Easy junkyard fix. The dashboard cracks in numerous spots. Another common problem with the Cavaliers though.
In the past year I've put over 8,000 miles on it traveling all over the US with my boyfriend. My biggest problem: getting rear ended while turning, 1000 miles from home. Totalled it out. Airbags DID NOT deploy.

Boring, But Very Reliable
By _only

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

(not a manual, BTW) I've had my 2005 Cavalier for almost 10 years and 130k miles now. I bought it used from the dealer with 30k miles in 2006, and it's been extremely reliable and dependable ever since. Besides normal obligatory replacement parts like tires and brake pads, the only things I've had to fix/replace were the instrument cluster gauges at 110k miles, and the fuel pump at 125k or so. My struts also are very weak now at over 130k miles and need replacing. Long story short, this car shouldn't give you any issues well over 100k miles, even if you have been bad at oil change maintenance, etc. The engine will be the last of your issues with this car, which is the most important note.

- Little to no maintenance needed for 100k miles. - Very reliable, tough little engine. - Good on gas, and a quick car.

- This year of all Chevys had faulty stepper motors chosen for install in the instrument cluster - The interior looks like a cheap car from '89. - Bad handling in corners, but it's no race car.

the car is a Beast
By beebopboo

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i couldnt have asked for a better first car, the cavelier gets a crappy rap but its really a decent, reliable car. mine has just gotten over the 100,000 mile mark and it hasent given me any problems. just like any car if you treat it right and take good care of it youll get the maximum preformance. so all you people who talk down on the cavelier, maybe its not the car at all maybe its just the way you run it..

i really like how easy it is to clean and how nice the interior looks, very sharp looking.

Clutch Problems
By rmoxham

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to warn owners of a problem with the hydraulic clutch in the 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The line from master cylinder to slave cylinder may be rubbing on the farm and is wearing through and one day you will step on the pedal and it will go right to the floor and stick there, leaving the engine engaged to the transmission. I talked with General Motors and they more or less just laughed at me. Too bad they say you are off warranty.. only in time not mileage (63, 000 KM). Hopefully no inexperienced driver has this happen to them or there could well be a serious accident even leading to death. GM doesn't want to hear about it.

Up to this issue my car has been pretty much faultless.

I think GM needs to come out with a recall and have this isse repaird, and to those of us who have paid $600.oo to fix it, we should be reimbursed at least for teh cost of parts or labor if not both.

I hated this car
By laurastett111

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30k miles and within the first few months, I had to take it to the shop.
Interior is cheap, and wears very easily.
with in a two years of having it, the seats started to wear through.
I have had to replace the power windows engines twice,
and know at 100k miles, it is starting to make noises.
My fincee is 5'9 and he can barely fit in the car.
hard to hold more than two people.