2005 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
falling apart shortly after I bought it and continue to
By jazzy1998 on 11/07/11 20:08 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 2005 Chevy Cavalier sedan in fall 2005. Problems started with the driver's seat handle breaking off then the seat would flop back while driving. Chevy's customer service suggested replacing the whole seat. The catalic converter died (was under warranty) an ion sensor went bad. The seats are uncomfortable you can feel anyone's foot movement near the seat .The dash rattles. The glove compartment handle broke, driver's visor flops, had to replace driver's power window motor and switch this year. Now it wont start not sure what's wrong now. All this on a 5 year old car. Piece of junk.

fuel gauge
By your-buddie on 04/03/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I see I am not the only one with fuel gauge problems. I guess I will continue to guess the amount of fuel in the tank as many (too many) others have done. Sorry about our luck on this one! The car has been very reliable till now, right after the warranty expires. This sounds like a very common error on Chevrolets The gas gauge just goes wild and finally comes to rest on the temp gauge.From what I read the gas tank has to come out and a new sensor installed and while the tank is out you might as well put a new fuel pump in too. Not going to happen!Maybe once the fuel pump quits it will really become an issue for me. I am sure other people who read these don't bother to enter a comment

Chevy Cavalier. Good Ride!
By Donnie on 08/21/09 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Again I bought a Chevy. And I'm glad. This seems to be a good little car. Just got it 3 weeks ago for about $7800. It only had 41,600 miles on it. Runs like a champ except a rattle at startup which seems to be just until oil reaches the top of the motor, about 1-2 seconds. It has plenty of power. 140 horses to be exact. Has good cold air, good radio and CD, cruise, auto trans, and nice interior. I know it's outdated but it was such a popular car so they did not need to redesign fast. My first Cavalier and so far I'm happy.

2005 Cavalier - Excellent Value!
By Tim C on 07/10/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's my third Cavalier. Great value for the $...especially after 4.5k rebate. Never let me down...just gas & regular maint., brake job every 50k, tires at 80k, first tuneup at 100k. 4 cylinder engine has plenty of pickup. Averaging 28 mpg for combination city-highway driving, and have gotten 34+ mpg highway...while avg 70 mph. Excellent traction in snow and wet roads. Handling is firm and predictable, but is a bit soft on tight turns at speed. Interior is comfortable + has LARGE amount of hauling space with the fold- down split rear seat.

Not too Happy
By CavalierCutie0001 on 12/27/08 04:03 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was really excited to get my Cavalier, i thought it was really small and cute. When I test drove it I loved how smooth it drove and my Cavalier was very comfortable! But after only having it for about 8 months, I've spent a lot of money fixing it! The check engine light has come on several times in the past month! My car has been in the shop already twice this month. And I have been maintaining it very well. Hmm. Despite its problems, the Cavalier drives nicely and actually accelerates pretty fast!

Love It! Great for families!
By hotmama on 03/20/07 23:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It's a nice car that is small and ecomonomical, yet large enough for my husband to comfortably drive, and he's 6'3". I like the dark interior and how quiet the ride is. And the mileage is great, but she can get up and go too!

Best Chevy
By victor on 01/25/07 08:13 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I am a car ASE mechanic of over 20 years. This is a good family car.The best Chevy sedan I have seen in years. Good reliability, good quality. I dont care what JD Power says, it's the best sedan yet.

Family cruiser
By family dude on 10/13/05 18:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Cavalier gets me and the family everywhere we need to go. In this hectic world, a dependable vehicle means the world to me. I feel confident and safe in my new Chevy!

Comfortable for the price
By John M on 09/05/05 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Combine the GM $5K Manufacturers rebate with my $3.5K GM card rebate and discount off sticker, I paid $8k for a car that stickered at $17.3K. Great visibility and ease of parking are the two main features I like combined with GREAT gas mileage at 25 mpg city especially at $3/gallon and it was a great price and timely buy. Surprisingly comfortable for a small car. Time will tell on the reliability of said vehicle but given the price I have no concerns about repair costs

A Good Sedan To Own
By Jabari on 08/29/05 01:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My experiance with this vehicle has been great.It has great fuel economy, nice pick up with the 140 horespower, and is stylish looking.