Used 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Should have bought a Camry
By CC

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car for 3 years. Bought at 117k. Not a very reliable vehicle. Timing chain needed replacing at 118k, water pump went bad at 140k, fuel pump went bad at 160k and left me stranded, fuel pressure regulator went bad at 161k, now the starter is bad at 165k. All of these are common Ecotec problems. There are also drivetrain issues, which are also common. The drivetrain rattles when starting the car up. I have put into this car exactly what I bought it for. It's not worth it. If you want to get a Cavalier, an earlier year with a different engine would suffice. The only good thing about owning this car is that, despite everything going bad, the engine itself refuses to give up. I would only suggest buying this car if you know how to fix it yourself.

so
By Dean

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

only had it a few days. i really like it. looks good, comfortable, runs great so far, I hope its going to be a good car for a while.

falling apart shortly after I bought it and continue to
By jazzy1998

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 2005 Chevy Cavalier sedan in fall 2005. Problems started with the driver's seat handle breaking off then the seat would flop back while driving. Chevy's customer service suggested replacing the whole seat. The catalic converter died (was under warranty) an ion sensor went bad. The seats are uncomfortable you can feel anyone's foot movement near the seat .The dash rattles.
The glove compartment handle broke, driver's visor flops, had to replace driver's power window motor and switch this year. Now it wont start not sure what's wrong now. All this on a 5 year old car. Piece of junk.

trunk size and radio

interior is too cheap,better seat handles, thicker seats, better glove compartment handle. Better warranty

fuel gauge
By your-buddie

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I see I am not the only one with fuel gauge problems. I guess I will continue to guess the amount of fuel in the tank as many (too many) others have done. Sorry about our luck on this one! The car has been very reliable till now, right after the warranty expires. This sounds like a very common error on Chevrolets The gas gauge just goes wild and finally comes to rest on the temp gauge.From what I read the gas tank has to come out and a new sensor installed and while the tank is out you might as well put a new fuel pump in too. Not going to happen!Maybe once the fuel pump quits it will really become an issue for me. I am sure other people who read these don't bother to enter a comment

great gas mileage

recall on problems such as one mentioned above.

Chevy Cavalier. Good Ride!
By Donnie

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Again I bought a Chevy. And I'm glad. This seems to be a good little car. Just got it 3 weeks ago for about $7800. It only had 41,600 miles on it. Runs like a champ except a rattle at startup which seems to be just until oil reaches the top of the motor, about 1-2 seconds. It has plenty of power. 140 horses to be exact. Has good cold air, good radio and CD, cruise, auto trans, and nice interior. I know it's outdated but it was such a popular car so they did not need to redesign fast. My first Cavalier and so far I'm happy.

Cruise, Auto, air, Stereo CD, delay wipers, nice seats, Stainless exhaust, good gas economy, quiet but powerful motor, remote electric trunk opener, cup holders.

Bring the Cavalier back. Sold at such a good price. GM needs some lower priced cars for people like me.