2005 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Boring, But Very Reliable
By _only on 04/08/14 11:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

(not a manual, BTW) I've had my 2005 Cavalier for almost 10 years and 130k miles now. I bought it used from the dealer with 30k miles in 2006, and it's been extremely reliable and dependable ever since. Besides normal obligatory replacement parts like tires and brake pads, the only things I've had to fix/replace were the instrument cluster gauges at 110k miles, and the fuel pump at 125k or so. My struts also are very weak now at over 130k miles and need replacing. Long story short, this car shouldn't give you any issues well over 100k miles, even if you have been bad at oil change maintenance, etc. The engine will be the last of your issues with this car, which is the most important note.

has some issues
By inreno777 on 06/12/13 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

gas gauge failed at 48,000. horn stopped at 50,000, engine seems strong at 52,000. if you are considering buying one of these used, tell them to replace the instrument panel as this is a big issue with these cars

falling apart shortly after I bought it and continue to
By jazzy1998 on 11/07/11 20:08 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought 2005 Chevy Cavalier sedan in fall 2005. Problems started with the driver's seat handle breaking off then the seat would flop back while driving. Chevy's customer service suggested replacing the whole seat. The catalic converter died (was under warranty) an ion sensor went bad. The seats are uncomfortable you can feel anyone's foot movement near the seat .The dash rattles. The glove compartment handle broke, driver's visor flops, had to replace driver's power window motor and switch this year. Now it wont start not sure what's wrong now. All this on a 5 year old car. Piece of junk.

the car is a Beast
By beebopboo on 10/04/11 15:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i couldnt have asked for a better first car, the cavelier gets a crappy rap but its really a decent, reliable car. mine has just gotten over the 100,000 mile mark and it hasent given me any problems. just like any car if you treat it right and take good care of it youll get the maximum preformance. so all you people who talk down on the cavelier, maybe its not the car at all maybe its just the way you run it..

Clutch Problems
By rmoxham on 06/02/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to warn owners of a problem with the hydraulic clutch in the 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The line from master cylinder to slave cylinder may be rubbing on the farm and is wearing through and one day you will step on the pedal and it will go right to the floor and stick there, leaving the engine engaged to the transmission. I talked with General Motors and they more or less just laughed at me. Too bad they say you are off warranty.. only in time not mileage (63, 000 KM). Hopefully no inexperienced driver has this happen to them or there could well be a serious accident even leading to death. GM doesn't want to hear about it.

I hated this car
By laurastett111 on 04/14/11 17:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30k miles and within the first few months, I had to take it to the shop. Interior is cheap, and wears very easily. with in a two years of having it, the seats started to wear through. I have had to replace the power windows engines twice, and know at 100k miles, it is starting to make noises. My fincee is 5'9 and he can barely fit in the car. hard to hold more than two people.

6 years old and had to junk it already. Many electrical issue. Waste of money.
By rockstartravis on 01/07/11 20:01 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this with only 11,000 miles on it. Had it for about 3 years. Piece of crap and waste of money. Internally is sucks. Horrible electrical issues with interior lights, seat broke and had to hold it up with a old milk can. Seat belt strap holder attached to neck of headrest busted like a cheap piece of plastic. Had blinker issue where one blinker worked and the other did not. Timing chain snapped and ruined engine valves before GM recommended tune up or check. Horrible reliability. Good vehicle for a teenager to beat up. Thats about it.

Best car ever owned
By Love my Cavy on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my manual 2005 LS cavalier in 2006 with only 10k miles on it. I now have almost 96k on it and its still running great! I love this car. Over the 4 years that i have owned my car, i have only had 1 major problem and that is the clutch cable went out 2 times. Other than that, this is the most reliable vehicle that i have owned. Nothing wrong with the engine after all of the long trips and miles this car has went through. No complaints here. The cavalier is still mechanically wonderful, easy on gas with avg of 32mpg for me, reasonably comfortable, the AC/Heat are great,keyless entry, sunroof, and great factory sound system! I love this car and would recommend it to anyone.

fuel gauge
By your-buddie on 04/03/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I see I am not the only one with fuel gauge problems. I guess I will continue to guess the amount of fuel in the tank as many (too many) others have done. Sorry about our luck on this one! The car has been very reliable till now, right after the warranty expires. This sounds like a very common error on Chevrolets The gas gauge just goes wild and finally comes to rest on the temp gauge.From what I read the gas tank has to come out and a new sensor installed and while the tank is out you might as well put a new fuel pump in too. Not going to happen!Maybe once the fuel pump quits it will really become an issue for me. I am sure other people who read these don't bother to enter a comment

Great little car
By Nan on 02/18/10 09:35 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this due to divorce and great choice. Gas mileage is terrific especially when gas was over $3/gal, so little spent on that. Normal wear. Just oil changes and new tires and brake pads in year 5. Easy to park in those tight places. No one wants to steal it cuz its plain-I like that!