Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Great Value
By Cavalier9

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Cavalier in 4/04. It is fully loaded with a 5 speed (a must have). Had a $4,000 rebate from GM when it was purchased. Got it for around $14,500 brand new! Have almost 100,000 miles on it. I have a long commute everday to work, and this car has taken it in stride. The only things I have had to replace on this car was a idle control sensor (within the first month after I bought the vehicle), front brake pads (just once), and I just bought my third set of tires. Thats all--I have not even had the rotors turned on this car--I can't believe it. Does suprisingly well in the snow. If you are looking for a great/affordable car--this should without a doubt be your choice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage--it is never less than 30MPG and I don't go easy with it. I read another review that said they get around 20--I'd check again. I would recommend the 5 speed and sunroof. Car is styled very well considering the type of vehicle it is. Not a lot of frills, but you get a lot of bang for your buck

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not comfortable and are rough on long trips. Not back friendly at all. Cup holders are right in front of the vent and temp controls. Oil filter is difficult to get to. Hopefully all of these weaknesses were addressed when the Cobalt replaced the Cavalier.

Satisfied
By G in NC

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy new in 2004. I have had only two problems: In 2006, my horn stopped working, and the airbag had to be removed to fixed the problem. A pricey fix but was covered by my warranty. Now at 56000 miles, my check engine light has come on and am told I need to replace an Oxygen sensor. No biggie. Overall, the ride in my car is comfortable but noisy in traffic. I am short, so I like that the car is more compact than others I've driven. I am not happy with the interior features: My dash has cracks from the sun, and the center console lid has completely fallen off. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase and love the gas economy. Good car for students!

Favorite Features

Gas economy, size

Suggested Improvements

Better interior features

Bought in 2005
By Mike J

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my daughter in late 2005. She went on to something else in 2006 so I've driven this car since then. No problems. This is a bottom end car for Chevrolet and I expected more issues. I see others that are beat to death but still run so I expect mine to run for a long time. This car will put a 6 cylinder older Mustang down without breaking a sweat and still get 25-26 mpg!

Favorite Features

Mileage! Everything is in easy reach with simple controls. Lots of trunk room with the fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not comfortable for trips but then maybe it wasn't really intended for that?

No Frills Ride
By Monkey Man

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing really surprising about it. The EcoTec engine is much more powerful than the clunker they used to put in Cavaliers. The sheetmetal is paper thin and dents easily. I damaged my quarter panel and was able to repair it by removing it, stomping on it a few times with my sneakers and putting it back on. The metal is that thin! It has been pretty reliable so far without problems, but I'm nowhere near the 100K mile mark yet. Interior and road noise is higher than in the late 90's versions. Ride is choppier too due to the tighter suspension and the 14" wheels. Styling is nothing exceptional but it looks better than it used to. Ugly toilet flusher style interior door handles, ugh.

Favorite Features

EcoTec engine, suspension is rather sporty for a 4 door. Plenty of room for a subcompact, Everything seems to work as advertised. Dash cluster is good, visibility is good.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish needs work. Trim parts don't fit well. Rear seat dropdown uses a bizarre trunk only pull loop system. Sheetmetal is weak, easy to dent. My rear bumper had crazed/cracked paint on it. Lots of road noise. The only noisier car I've ever experienced is a 96 Kia Sephia in comparison.

Reliable, comfortable and great mpg
By love my cav

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car a little over 4 years and have 116000 miles on it. I only recently had to replace the fan assembly, otherwise only the regular brakes, tires, battery, etc. This has been a very reliable car with great gas mileage. I average about 28-32 mpg but have gotten as much as 38 on long road trips. This is my second Chevy product and I will buy Chevy again, both cars have been wonderful. I would like something bigger but this one is hard to give up.