Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Reliable not comfortable...
By Lissa

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love that the transmission and engine seem rock solid. Hate the noise and all the electrical issues. The low profile tires make for a noisy ride when combined with the lack of passenger cabin insulation. The paint job is not durable. Like the body moldings which gave the old classic a newer sporty look. Hate that pricey as it was to get the sport upgrade, it didn't come with power windows. Watch for lower blower motor issues, dash electronics issues and AC problems. The drivers side seat blew a spring in the first year. The gas tank reservoir will crack on these bad boys too. All pretty spendy repairs.

Very dependable engine and transmission. I am sure I can put 250K on it.

Insulate the passenger cabins, put decent paint on the car, power windows, fix the electrical issues it will help the AC last longer and the lower blower. Lose the low profile tires they make it ride like a box of rocks.

Lots of problems
By severinep

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last year and it had 91,000 miles on it. I am close to 100,000 now & had lots of problems. A spring in the clutch system was broken making it impossible to switch gears with the pedal. $1,100 to fix this and the auto-repair guy had never ever seen this happen. Sensors are bad and keep sending check engine messages or check fluids when everything is fine. Now I have another $500 in repairs because the muffler is gone and the transistor that regulates the fan for heat/AC is dead. I could change that myself ($25) but it is impossible to put the blower motor back since it uses special plastic screws. Only an auto- repair shop can do it.

Gas mileage and engine power. The trunk is pretty big too for such a small car.

The interior design is straight from the 90s and pretty cheap.One of the air register popped out, the plastic is cracked on the dashboard, dents easily. I park far away from cars for tha purpose.

completely recommend this car
By natemorris925

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to commute to school/work with. Averaging a little over 100 miles a day I bought it with the sole purpose of racking up a ton of miles, no extras. This is an extremely reliable car. The cartridge oil filter is Nice since im usually due for an oil change about every month. I changed the transmission filter and spark plugs at 60k. Fuel pump went out at 68k. I like that it has a timing chain instead of a belt. More maintenance free. Avg 34 mpg. With good tires this car is excellent in snow. Bottom line, this car is nearly as good as a civic, and for about half the price you cant go wrong as long as you take care of it. Mines at 90k it runs like new, no leaks or noises.

Plenty of power for a 4 cyl. Gas mileage. Reliability. Handling. Very good air conditioner but I hardly ever use it. Good in snow. Split folding back seat.

i guess a little bit more leg room would be nice

Love My Chevy!
By Cat

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car! I have never had any major issues with this car. I get my oil changed as recommended, new tires, breaks things like that. It's sporty, and I think it's fun to drive. It's got a great stock stereo system.

Spoiler, sleek look, fun to drive

Cup holders...They are in the way of the temperature controls

Great Grocery Getter
By BCB

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2004. This was second Cavalier I have owned and both have been rock solid and dependable. My current Cavalier has 163,000 on it and the only problem I have ever had was a master cylinder for the clutch. Great gas mileage, reliable, and inexpensive, what more could you ask for. Chevy would have been wise to keep this one in production as there is a large and loyal customer base. If they were still made, I would certainly be buying another one. Not fancy, exciting to drive, or exotic, but there are lots of us who want to get from point A to point B without spending a lot and with minimal maintenance headaches.

Reliable, good gas mileage, and comfortable.

Bring them back. When the company is on the ropes, it is no time to bail on the tried and true.