Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Most Helpful|
Great Value
By Cavalier9

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS Sport 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Cavalier in 4/04. It is fully loaded with a 5 speed (a must have). Had a $4,000 rebate from GM when it was purchased. Got it for around $14,500 brand new! Have almost 100,000 miles on it. I have a long commute everday to work, and this car has taken it in stride. The only things I have had to replace on this car was a idle control sensor (within the first month after I bought the vehicle), front brake pads (just once), and I just bought my third set of tires. Thats all--I have not even had the rotors turned on this car--I can't believe it. Does suprisingly well in the snow. If you are looking for a great/affordable car--this should without a doubt be your choice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage--it is never less than 30MPG and I don't go easy with it. I read another review that said they get around 20--I'd check again. I would recommend the 5 speed and sunroof. Car is styled very well considering the type of vehicle it is. Not a lot of frills, but you get a lot of bang for your buck

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not comfortable and are rough on long trips. Not back friendly at all. Cup holders are right in front of the vent and temp controls. Oil filter is difficult to get to. Hopefully all of these weaknesses were addressed when the Cobalt replaced the Cavalier.

You get what you pay for
By dustyrose2

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Special Value 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with 60K miles. Its has needed alot of repairs, all my gauges stopped working in 2009, windshield wipers wont stop when you turn them off since 2010, air conditioner makes a constant ticking/clicking sound all the time since right after i bought it, I replaced the engine coils 2x, replaced ignition control module 6x, replaced water pump, fuel pump, clutch, many others cant remember everything, my timing belt started going out last week so I finally traded it in for a new car. Inside of the car is very cheap and basic, but hey the car was cheap and you get what you pay for. The gas mileage was excellent, I say its a good starter car for a teenager.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

I hate it!
By kaikai08

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely hate that car. I purchased the car on impulse in 2004, with 4 miles on it. Within a week, the radio went out. I have to admit, for years it did do its justice, however, the car has always been uncomfortable. It has a hard feel to the seats and the interior is extremely cheap looking. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about the design. Now, the car overheats, the A/C doesn't work unless i'm pressing the accel., I seriously think the transmission is going bad, the trunk pops open when it wants to (yes, thankfully at stop lights). To top it all off, the paint is fading. I had a black car, now its black with huge metallic spots. Its a mess, its ugly. "Hated It"

Favorite Features

It was cheap, and affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Visually, the car is a mess. They should have used a higher paint grade.

Love My Chevy!
By Cat

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car! I have never had any major issues with this car. I get my oil changed as recommended, new tires, breaks things like that. It's sporty, and I think it's fun to drive. It's got a great stock stereo system.

Favorite Features

Spoiler, sleek look, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders...They are in the way of the temperature controls

Great car!
By hannam

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for almost a year before someone ran a red light and totaled it. Looks great for the price, easy to drive and great for a first car! I bought it with 90k and drove it to 100k. I did have a few issues with it. The backseat was really difficult to access. If you buy with the original radio, be aware that installing a new radio could put you in the $200-300 range as the system is connected to many other things in the car (like the beeps for when your car door is open). AC went out around 94,000 miles. The lights below around the gearshift went out, and I had to hit the gearshift to make them come back on. All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase and sad to lose it.