2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great Grocery Getter
By BCB on 12/24/08 12:29 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2004. This was second Cavalier I have owned and both have been rock solid and dependable. My current Cavalier has 163,000 on it and the only problem I have ever had was a master cylinder for the clutch. Great gas mileage, reliable, and inexpensive, what more could you ask for. Chevy would have been wise to keep this one in production as there is a large and loyal customer base. If they were still made, I would certainly be buying another one. Not fancy, exciting to drive, or exotic, but there are lots of us who want to get from point A to point B without spending a lot and with minimal maintenance headaches.

Satisfied
By G in NC on 10/05/08 08:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Chevy new in 2004. I have had only two problems: In 2006, my horn stopped working, and the airbag had to be removed to fixed the problem. A pricey fix but was covered by my warranty. Now at 56000 miles, my check engine light has come on and am told I need to replace an Oxygen sensor. No biggie. Overall, the ride in my car is comfortable but noisy in traffic. I am short, so I like that the car is more compact than others I've driven. I am not happy with the interior features: My dash has cracks from the sun, and the center console lid has completely fallen off. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase and love the gas economy. Good car for students!

Bought in 2005
By Mike J on 09/19/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my daughter in late 2005. She went on to something else in 2006 so I've driven this car since then. No problems. This is a bottom end car for Chevrolet and I expected more issues. I see others that are beat to death but still run so I expect mine to run for a long time. This car will put a 6 cylinder older Mustang down without breaking a sweat and still get 25-26 mpg!

No Frills Ride
By Monkey Man on 08/18/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing really surprising about it. The EcoTec engine is much more powerful than the clunker they used to put in Cavaliers. The sheetmetal is paper thin and dents easily. I damaged my quarter panel and was able to repair it by removing it, stomping on it a few times with my sneakers and putting it back on. The metal is that thin! It has been pretty reliable so far without problems, but I'm nowhere near the 100K mile mark yet. Interior and road noise is higher than in the late 90's versions. Ride is choppier too due to the tighter suspension and the 14" wheels. Styling is nothing exceptional but it looks better than it used to. Ugly toilet flusher style interior door handles, ugh.

Reliable, comfortable and great mpg
By love my cav on 06/29/08 11:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car a little over 4 years and have 116000 miles on it. I only recently had to replace the fan assembly, otherwise only the regular brakes, tires, battery, etc. This has been a very reliable car with great gas mileage. I average about 28-32 mpg but have gotten as much as 38 on long road trips. This is my second Chevy product and I will buy Chevy again, both cars have been wonderful. I would like something bigger but this one is hard to give up.

Our Baby
By Stargazer on 05/17/08 20:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have had our Cavalier only a few months and have been very pleased with it. It is very fun to drive and we love the way it looks. We have read the other reviews and do not agree with everything that is said about the Cavalier. With todays gas prices it is a very economical car.

Very disappointing
By Steve-o on 04/22/08 06:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've never had more problems with a car than this one. My Cavalier has had one thing go wrong after the other. It's never been abused, the oil has been changed every 3,000 miles and it's not even driven that much. I only have one more year of payments, but I've decided to trade it in for something other than a GM. Maybe I just got a lemon. For those who are about to buy one, beware. The Cavalier is a cheap car and it's one of those things where you get what you pay for. I guess it's back to imports for me.

My Chevy Cavalier
By azgurl on 03/17/08 18:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car got great gas mileage. It did ok in snow and mud. When I got 69,000 miles my car was making noises when I started it. It was my lower motor knocking, to mechanics it made no sense it was a flexplate and overhaul on my motor. So my conclusion is they do good until 69,000 miles.

Disappointed
By Steve on 03/11/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in a hurry because my last vehicle was totaled in an accident, and I needed something to get back and forth to work. I've always heard how "great" Cavaliers were so I took a chance on a GM car. Never again! Everytime I turn around the "service" or "check engine" light is on. The car has only 40,000 miles on it and I've spent thousands on things that I don't think should've gone out already. Oh well, I guess it's back to buying an import.

RoseRetrading
By Rose on 01/10/08 09:30 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I am happy with my Cavalier. Fuel economy is excellent and there has been absolutely no problems with the performance of the car. My only dislike is that the windows and mirror adjustments are manual. Would like to go electronic now but for dollar value, this car is excellent.