2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
I hate it!
By kaikai08 on 09/16/11 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely hate that car. I purchased the car on impulse in 2004, with 4 miles on it. Within a week, the radio went out. I have to admit, for years it did do its justice, however, the car has always been uncomfortable. It has a hard feel to the seats and the interior is extremely cheap looking. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about the design. Now, the car overheats, the A/C doesn't work unless i'm pressing the accel., I seriously think the transmission is going bad, the trunk pops open when it wants to (yes, thankfully at stop lights). To top it all off, the paint is fading. I had a black car, now its black with huge metallic spots. Its a mess, its ugly. "Hated It"

Would be good
By Jon Smith on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Would be good but the car just keeps having problems, IAT, HUBS go out, Slave cylinders go out multiple times and then contaminate the clutch but That problem starts with the master cylinder which is usually repaired wrong at dealers for cost cutting-they replace the slave not the master cylinder. almost cost my life in an accident! Trans went out, Radio went out twice the replaced one was remanufactured, not NEW under warranty. speakers go out, throttle cable rusted and would make the throttle stick or not move-thus no driving or very high revs. The car would be great if GM wasn't so Cheap! and that intake manifold design is crap.

My First Car
By SoCalMal on 07/25/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in '04 and I'll be the first to admit I didn't know how to take care of a vehicle. Every oil change was late and a cracked transmission pan later, 88,000+ miles later this gem is still running. The dashboard is weak, but the rest of the interior is decent. It's a bit of a noisy ride esp. if you're on the phone. I've encounter no problems w/ the electrical components, but the transmission is starting to slip.

Great little car
By roger on 05/31/10 09:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not ugly. It is very cute and stylish. Interior could have used some improvement. I got 48 mpg on the highway and high 20's in town. This car is very fun to drive and handles beautifully. For the money paid, it is a great commuter car.

04 Cavalier has been a great car
By Great Car on 05/08/10 17:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't drive mine much but wanted to say it's been a great car. Only problems were the blower fan starting ticking after a year and the dash board cover bubbled here in the AZ heat, both under warranty. I wanted to suggest to those that have check engine light probs to check your gas cap and make sure it is seated right and the gasket has no hairline cracks. My check engine light comes on if I don't put the (locking) gas cap on correctly. The light also comes on when I drive up in the mountains like 6800 feet from phoenix's 300 or so foot elevation in less than a 2 hour drive. It must be very sensitive. It goes off by itself after the car gets used to the differences.

Reliable but ugly
By macjoel on 05/04/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, I got it used. I like it a lot, but the interior is made of cheap plastic and is extremely flimsy and the springs in the seats popped out of the back of the seat. Driving the car is comfortable, but riding in it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. There is virtually no legroom in the back, and the passenger seat in the front is weird, it feel like your being squeezed. As for the exterior, the design was dated way before it came out. It basically looks like a crappy four door version of a 90s mustang. Performance is good, no complaints there, so the only thing is the interior and exterior.

couldnt be better
By jimn on 03/23/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2004 cavalier in 2005 from courier company I drove it for. After 13 months it had 108,000 miles, all highway driving 160 miles each way. Outstanding service records and maintenance. Paid 2250 for it with 60% tires, can you say stole it. Wife drives daily at 30 plus per mile. Have taken on several 800 to 1000 mile trips mileage as high as 38.5

Best car I have ever owned
By Mmmm Toast on 02/28/10 20:09 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my cavalier it amazes me how i can drive around town all day and use almost no gas. I am amazed by all the power I am getting out of the little ecotech 4 banger. my cavalier is mostly stock (no engine mods) I have a AEM cold air intake and a GReddy evo 2 exhaust and i can lay rubber in first shift to second and lay some more and get 30+mpg on the ride home, hard to do without switching cars. I don't know how well the car handles stock because mine was dropped probably 3 in before i got it but it handles like a race car i can turn a corner doing 30 in town:) i bought it and drove it back to KS from MO couple hours and was comfortable the whole way

JUNK
By Kevin on 02/25/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I researched this car to death before purchasing a 2004 model in 2005. I read all sorts of positive notes on it, kind of like here. Let me tell you it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! Everytime I turned around there was something wrong with it. Engine light always came on, had problems with the brakes, trunk wouldn't open anymore, headlight quit working, just to name a few. I only put 26,000 miles on it, so it's not like it had a lot on it.

Second one for me
By T. Allen on 08/25/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Cavalier and am loving this car! I currently have a 98 coupe with 214000 miles on it and can expect the same from this one. These cars have always been reliable and inexpensive to repair. I really like the eye-catching exterior of the sport sedan, ie. wheels, spoiler and front end. Its a shame that GM discontinued the Cavalier and began producing the lemon named Cobalt! I will enjoy.