2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Cavalier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Sort Reviews by

Great first time car
By kiprsnx

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my cavalier at around 40k miles, recently traded it in for a pickup at 105k miles. Was very sad to see it go. Only thing I ever needed to fix was a bad fuel pump and a leaking water pump. Got me through many drives from Washington-California, and a year of 30 mile work commutes. I also left it sitting for almost a year and had no problem starting it up. Only real complaints I have are the radio controls are blocked if you have anything in the cupholders, the piece of plastic on the dash against the windshield cracks and the road noise. Other than that, it's fun to drive, comfortable and has great gas mileage. Would definately recommend!

Favorite Features

ride, reliability, price, Mileage

Suggested Improvements

road noise, placement of radio

JUNK
By Kevin

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I researched this car to death before purchasing a 2004 model in 2005. I read all sorts of positive notes on it, kind of like here. Let me tell you it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! Everytime I turned around there was something wrong with it. Engine light always came on, had problems with the brakes, trunk wouldn't open anymore, headlight quit working, just to name a few. I only put 26,000 miles on it, so it's not like it had a lot on it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

You already made improvements—you stopped making them!

Very disappointing
By Steve-o

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've never had more problems with a car than this one. My Cavalier has had one thing go wrong after the other. It's never been abused, the oil has been changed every 3,000 miles and it's not even driven that much. I only have one more year of payments, but I've decided to trade it in for something other than a GM. Maybe I just got a lemon. For those who are about to buy one, beware. The Cavalier is a cheap car and it's one of those things where you get what you pay for. I guess it's back to imports for me.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention.

Disappointed
By Steve

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in a hurry because my last vehicle was totaled in an accident, and I needed something to get back and forth to work. I've always heard how "great" Cavaliers were so I took a chance on a GM car. Never again! Everytime I turn around the "service" or "check engine" light is on. The car has only 40,000 miles on it and I've spent thousands on things that I don't think should've gone out already. Oh well, I guess it's back to buying an import.

Favorite Features

Nice sounding stereo.

A Couple of Problems
By LP

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for about 2 1/2 years, its been pretty dependable for the price, but I have had some issues with the gauges. My RPM gauge stopped working first, followed by my fuel gauge, and now my speedometer is starting to work on-and-off like the others did before they stopped working. I haven't bothered to get them fixed because I'm about to trade it in, but I wasn't too happy about that. However, it's a great starter car.

Favorite Features

Cute exterior, good value for the price.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to know how much gas I have! Then again, I do know exactly how much mileage I am getting because I have to go off the odometer, and I must admit that it gets great gas mileage. I can usually go around 400 miles between fill-ups.

the best fuel ecomony car
By coolteen92486

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I think this car is a good little car. I have no problems with the car. In town I get 25 - 27 mpg and on the highway I get 34 miles to a gallon. The gas tank takes 25 dollars to fill it from empty when gas price is $2.15 a gallon.

Favorite Features

The automatic four speed transmission and the pop button inside the car for the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing wrong with them.

Nice little car for the money
By Darrell Hovermale

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car,an LS sedan, in March 2004 for $12K. GM had $4k in factory rebates, and the dealer discounted as well. We purchased for primarily as a commuter car, but like it so well, we have taken it on trips and vacation. So far very reliable. Love the strong Ecotec engine, and smooth shifting automatic. If the car continues to do well, I'm back in the GM family. Only complaints are minor: like the lousy design of the cup holders blocking HVAC controls. Seats could be more supportive. Other than that. Very satisfied with the car.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission. Like the styling as well. Glad to hear the Cobalt getting great reviews from the automotive press, but I think the Cavalier is more stylish. Cobalt looks like everything else from Asia.

Suggested Improvements

Moot point, car has been replaced by Cobalt

Great bang for the buck
By darrell hovermale

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for a short commute to work, however I have taken it on vacation, and it performed quite well. Sometimes I think the high- falutin car critics,are just a bit too critical of American cars. My Cavalier is reliable, peppy, and a good looking car. I'm happy with it, and I don't care what anyone else says. My next vehicle will probably be a Chevrolet.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission

Suggested Improvements

HVAC controls blocked by cup holder placement, firmer seats

Great Auto
By closedone

A fun car to drive for this 73 year old man

Favorite Features

Anti theft devise

Suggested Improvements

Need more leg room for us taller guys. Lenghten seat belts I use an extender suppied by dealer at no cost to me.

Buy one
By Ron Fowler

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had mine for 6 months. Ride is very good. Acceleration better than expected. 22 mpg around town. A/C works super (florida). Has most wanted accesories, standard (LS series). Downgrade this car for wind noise when window is open. Excellant radio, with sub woofer std. With todays discounts this is a super bargain.

Favorite Features

Sub woofer, 2 power outlets, fold down rear seats, cargo net in trunk. Decent styling. Good fabric on seats. Auto trans shifts very good.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce wind noise when front windows are open. Fancier paint colors. Like a red metalic, pearl white, etc. Mine is silver.