2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
Great first time car
By kiprsnx on 02/20/13 21:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got my cavalier at around 40k miles, recently traded it in for a pickup at 105k miles. Was very sad to see it go. Only thing I ever needed to fix was a bad fuel pump and a leaking water pump. Got me through many drives from Washington-California, and a year of 30 mile work commutes. I also left it sitting for almost a year and had no problem starting it up. Only real complaints I have are the radio controls are blocked if you have anything in the cupholders, the piece of plastic on the dash against the windshield cracks and the road noise. Other than that, it's fun to drive, comfortable and has great gas mileage. Would definately recommend!

A great engine surrounded by an average car
By happychihuahua on 10/01/12 07:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The EcoTec 2.2 is a marvelous engine, its powerful, quiet and as reliable as an anvil, a testament to its foreign design. The rest of the car however is General Motors, what can you say. The steel on the car is paper thin, so even a slight bump will distort the quarter panels and your plastic bumper will never fit properly again. The interior is typical GM, with the bizarre toilet seat flusher door handles and the cheap plastic interior. The plastic covers by the mirrors tend to slap off and the manual mirror adjusters tend to break. The shift level gets loose and since its plastic will begin to fall apart, requiring replacement. The interior noise is higher than it should be.

It's doing its job.
By evanz on 09/27/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second car. I bought it, after weeks of searching for something else in my price range. I don't really like Chevy, but i got it in great shape, and condition. I bought it with 80,000 miles, and it now has about 105,000. I've driven it across states without hesitating. The only thing I've had to replace was the fuel pump at about 100. Everything else works fine, and even looks alright. The car isnt fast, but if you give enough gas it can go. I live in an area with snow, ice, rain, and hills, and this car works fine everywhere. I take good care of my cars aesthetically, and get their regular maintenance. But I drive the **** out of my cars, and this one is still holding up fine.

A year of Driving the Cavalier...
By ch0c0latel0vin on 04/27/12 00:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This practically being my first car, I can't really compare it to much. So for a first car, this is a solid pick. The only problems I honestly have with it, are the lack of power windows and locks, though that isn't a major problem, and the way it is made. The interior is so cheap, and the vent cable mechanism is rather faulty and pops out(mine just broke) unfortunately, the dash needs to be completely taken off to get to anything, and dealerships will charge you a lot for this(even though it really doesn't take all that long to get off) Other then that, this car has been reliable and the gas mileage is top notch. Putting a new set of tires on this thing definitely makes it so much better.

Great little car
By roger on 05/31/10 09:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not ugly. It is very cute and stylish. Interior could have used some improvement. I got 48 mpg on the highway and high 20's in town. This car is very fun to drive and handles beautifully. For the money paid, it is a great commuter car.

Reliable but ugly
By macjoel on 05/04/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, I got it used. I like it a lot, but the interior is made of cheap plastic and is extremely flimsy and the springs in the seats popped out of the back of the seat. Driving the car is comfortable, but riding in it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. There is virtually no legroom in the back, and the passenger seat in the front is weird, it feel like your being squeezed. As for the exterior, the design was dated way before it came out. It basically looks like a crappy four door version of a 90s mustang. Performance is good, no complaints there, so the only thing is the interior and exterior.

couldnt be better
By jimn on 03/23/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 2004 cavalier in 2005 from courier company I drove it for. After 13 months it had 108,000 miles, all highway driving 160 miles each way. Outstanding service records and maintenance. Paid 2250 for it with 60% tires, can you say stole it. Wife drives daily at 30 plus per mile. Have taken on several 800 to 1000 mile trips mileage as high as 38.5

JUNK
By Kevin on 02/25/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I researched this car to death before purchasing a 2004 model in 2005. I read all sorts of positive notes on it, kind of like here. Let me tell you it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! Everytime I turned around there was something wrong with it. Engine light always came on, had problems with the brakes, trunk wouldn't open anymore, headlight quit working, just to name a few. I only put 26,000 miles on it, so it's not like it had a lot on it.

Second one for me
By T. Allen on 08/25/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Cavalier and am loving this car! I currently have a 98 coupe with 214000 miles on it and can expect the same from this one. These cars have always been reliable and inexpensive to repair. I really like the eye-catching exterior of the sport sedan, ie. wheels, spoiler and front end. Its a shame that GM discontinued the Cavalier and began producing the lemon named Cobalt! I will enjoy.

Reliable not comfortable...
By Lissa on 07/27/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan LS Sport 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Love that the transmission and engine seem rock solid. Hate the noise and all the electrical issues. The low profile tires make for a noisy ride when combined with the lack of passenger cabin insulation. The paint job is not durable. Like the body moldings which gave the old classic a newer sporty look. Hate that pricey as it was to get the sport upgrade, it didn't come with power windows. Watch for lower blower motor issues, dash electronics issues and AC problems. The drivers side seat blew a spring in the first year. The gas tank reservoir will crack on these bad boys too. All pretty spendy repairs.