2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
First New Car
By rdaub on 03/27/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Cavalier was my first NEW car purchase {had purchased used cars prior}. After 180,000+ miles can not really complain. It did what it was purchased to do - used as a commuter car, averaging over 400+ miles per week. After all of those miles, still getting 30+ mpg. Yes road-noisy ride, cd no longer works, replaced clutch after 175,000+ miles, shifter needs replaced [hard to get into 1st or 2nd, really loose]. But for a "basic $10,000.00 car" in 2004, it has been a worthy vehicle.

My first Car
By cjbridges on 10/31/11 22:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 16 years old and this is my first car, We bought it with 77k miles on it and it now has 80k, The only repairs we had to do were basic things like replacing the fluids, oil filter, oil, and a new battery, but other than that its had no major problems. The paint is rather cheap and chips easily, and the interiors plastic is cheap and the fabric is thin, however if you take car of it everything shouldn't crap out on you. My dash cracked and my engine light comes on when there is no problem, the car can be noisy at times, and my CD player broke, but I have to say there are no major problems. I like the sleek sporty design of the car.

I hate it!
By kaikai08 on 09/16/11 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely hate that car. I purchased the car on impulse in 2004, with 4 miles on it. Within a week, the radio went out. I have to admit, for years it did do its justice, however, the car has always been uncomfortable. It has a hard feel to the seats and the interior is extremely cheap looking. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about the design. Now, the car overheats, the A/C doesn't work unless i'm pressing the accel., I seriously think the transmission is going bad, the trunk pops open when it wants to (yes, thankfully at stop lights). To top it all off, the paint is fading. I had a black car, now its black with huge metallic spots. Its a mess, its ugly. "Hated It"

My First Car
By SoCalMal on 07/25/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in '04 and I'll be the first to admit I didn't know how to take care of a vehicle. Every oil change was late and a cracked transmission pan later, 88,000+ miles later this gem is still running. The dashboard is weak, but the rest of the interior is decent. It's a bit of a noisy ride esp. if you're on the phone. I've encounter no problems w/ the electrical components, but the transmission is starting to slip.

04 Cavalier has been a great car
By Great Car on 05/08/10 17:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't drive mine much but wanted to say it's been a great car. Only problems were the blower fan starting ticking after a year and the dash board cover bubbled here in the AZ heat, both under warranty. I wanted to suggest to those that have check engine light probs to check your gas cap and make sure it is seated right and the gasket has no hairline cracks. My check engine light comes on if I don't put the (locking) gas cap on correctly. The light also comes on when I drive up in the mountains like 6800 feet from phoenix's 300 or so foot elevation in less than a 2 hour drive. It must be very sensitive. It goes off by itself after the car gets used to the differences.

Best car I have ever owned
By Mmmm Toast on 02/28/10 20:09 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my cavalier it amazes me how i can drive around town all day and use almost no gas. I am amazed by all the power I am getting out of the little ecotech 4 banger. my cavalier is mostly stock (no engine mods) I have a AEM cold air intake and a GReddy evo 2 exhaust and i can lay rubber in first shift to second and lay some more and get 30+mpg on the ride home, hard to do without switching cars. I don't know how well the car handles stock because mine was dropped probably 3 in before i got it but it handles like a race car i can turn a corner doing 30 in town:) i bought it and drove it back to KS from MO couple hours and was comfortable the whole way

Lots of problems
By severinep on 07/20/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last year and it had 91,000 miles on it. I am close to 100,000 now & had lots of problems. A spring in the clutch system was broken making it impossible to switch gears with the pedal. $1,100 to fix this and the auto-repair guy had never ever seen this happen. Sensors are bad and keep sending check engine messages or check fluids when everything is fine. Now I have another $500 in repairs because the muffler is gone and the transistor that regulates the fan for heat/AC is dead. I could change that myself ($25) but it is impossible to put the blower motor back since it uses special plastic screws. Only an auto- repair shop can do it.

completely recommend this car
By natemorris925 on 03/24/09 22:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to commute to school/work with. Averaging a little over 100 miles a day I bought it with the sole purpose of racking up a ton of miles, no extras. This is an extremely reliable car. The cartridge oil filter is Nice since im usually due for an oil change about every month. I changed the transmission filter and spark plugs at 60k. Fuel pump went out at 68k. I like that it has a timing chain instead of a belt. More maintenance free. Avg 34 mpg. With good tires this car is excellent in snow. Bottom line, this car is nearly as good as a civic, and for about half the price you cant go wrong as long as you take care of it. Mines at 90k it runs like new, no leaks or noises.

Love My Chevy!
By Cat on 03/11/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car! I have never had any major issues with this car. I get my oil changed as recommended, new tires, breaks things like that. It's sporty, and I think it's fun to drive. It's got a great stock stereo system.

Amazing Car
By LM on 06/08/08 20:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has made amazing mileage. On a trip across SD got 35 miles to the gallon and in normal traffic around 30 miles per gallon. It runs well and the air conditioning is excellent it keeps the entire car cool.