Used 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

First New Car
By rdaub

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Cavalier was my first NEW car purchase {had purchased used cars prior}. After 180,000+ miles can not really complain. It did what it was purchased to do - used as a commuter car, averaging over 400+ miles per week. After all of those miles, still getting 30+ mpg. Yes road-noisy ride, cd no longer works, replaced clutch after 175,000+ miles, shifter needs replaced [hard to get into 1st or 2nd, really loose]. But for a "basic $10,000.00 car" in 2004, it has been a worthy vehicle.

My first Car
By cjbridges

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 16 years old and this is my first car, We bought it with 77k miles on it and it now has 80k, The only repairs we had to do were basic things like replacing the fluids, oil filter, oil, and a new battery, but other than that its had no major problems. The paint is rather cheap and chips easily, and the interiors plastic is cheap and the fabric is thin, however if you take car of it everything shouldn't crap out on you. My dash cracked and my engine light comes on when there is no problem, the car can be noisy at times, and my CD player broke, but I have to say there are no major problems. I like the sleek sporty design of the car.

Favorite Features

Stereo system is actually decent and sounds good even cranked up pretty high, when im in the street i can hear it in my house, pretty clearly. I like the sleek design of it, it looks really sporty. The engine is decent for a 4 banger. I like the interior, personally i think its comfortable, but i dont think its very comfortable for others. i think the A/C works great, its powerful and effective, however noisy. I love the simple interior.

Suggested Improvements

The fabric and plastic of the interior is cheap, and so its the paint on the exterior. The CD player broke really quickly, and the glovebox is awkward. The seats arent comfortable for passengers. The engine is nice for a 4 cyclinder car, but doesnt quite deliver the desired power. The fact that the check engine light comes on if there is dirt in the wrong space or if the gas cap isnt on right is annoying.

I hate it!
By kaikai08

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely hate that car. I purchased the car on impulse in 2004, with 4 miles on it. Within a week, the radio went out. I have to admit, for years it did do its justice, however, the car has always been uncomfortable. It has a hard feel to the seats and the interior is extremely cheap looking. There is nothing fancy or spectacular about the design. Now, the car overheats, the A/C doesn't work unless i'm pressing the accel., I seriously think the transmission is going bad, the trunk pops open when it wants to (yes, thankfully at stop lights). To top it all off, the paint is fading. I had a black car, now its black with huge metallic spots. Its a mess, its ugly. "Hated It"

Favorite Features

It was cheap, and affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Visually, the car is a mess. They should have used a higher paint grade.

My First Car
By SoCalMal

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in '04 and I'll be the first to admit I didn't know how to take care of a vehicle. Every oil change was late and a cracked transmission pan later, 88,000+ miles later this gem is still running. The dashboard is weak, but the rest of the interior is decent. It's a bit of a noisy ride esp. if you're on the phone. I've encounter no problems w/ the electrical components, but the transmission is starting to slip.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage, moonroof, sound system all make me want to keep her around.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, make it quieter and include power windows.

04 Cavalier has been a great car
By Great Car

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't drive mine much but wanted to say it's been a great car. Only problems were the blower fan starting ticking after a year and the dash board cover bubbled here in the AZ heat, both under warranty. I wanted to suggest to those that have check engine light probs to check your gas cap and make sure it is seated right and the gasket has no hairline cracks. My check engine light comes on if I don't put the (locking) gas cap on correctly. The light also comes on when I drive up in the mountains like 6800 feet from phoenix's 300 or so foot elevation in less than a 2 hour drive. It must be very sensitive. It goes off by itself after the car gets used to the differences.

Favorite Features

Peppy yet economical and fun to drive. I can average 40 mpg on highway driving and have never gotten less than 21 or 22 mpg in city driving with a/c on full blast constantly. Easy to drive, good visibility. Car was a great buy too and insurance is reasonable, too. Folding rears seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders in front of the temp and fan controls. Taller cups have hit the radio controls and reset the time on the clock. Cup holders do not accommodate wider cups either. Front seats are not friendly to the lower back after an hour or so. Front passenger side could use more leg room